Adirondack chair questions.
I made six chairs using Norm's plans. They were Cypress, painted and left outside all the time. They lasted about 10 years before the legs rotted out.

IMHO there have been better plans (more comfortable, a little bigger, wider arms) released since then including the one from LV.
Anybody remember the name of the plan that was the rage, something like Joey's chair. Ring any bells?
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Jake's chair?

http://www.jakeschair.com/download.php
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Around 5 years ago (maybe more), I made 4 out of Cypress with the LV plans - two rockers and two chairs.  I put a strip of white oak under each runner because the cypress is a little soft.  Then I coated the chairs with Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer (CPES) that I got from Jamestown Distributors.  I put several coats on the bottoms of the legs and the runners.  Had planned to follow up with some marine paint, but figured I would live with them like this until they got grey.

The CPES was relatively expensive, but I leave them outside (in NJ) all year and they're still going strong.  Mostly grey now, but I'm not rushing to add color. 

I have read that new growth cypress is not as rot resistant as old growth stuff.  I have no idea what mine was, but it's definitely holding up.

Steve
Can't imagine using Pine for outdoor furniture.
I made a few chairs out of Cypress, and they have held up fine (painted)
I made a few "Stargazer" models that recline. 
[Image: DSCN9374.jpg]
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
When I was poor(er) and making chairs for others, I used pine for all of them. I used Home Depot common white pine, and some were either deck stained (semi-transparent or solid) while others were painted. My mother kept hers inside over the winter (Pennsylvania) and repainted them once. They lasted about eight years, which is still pretty good. The rotting was contained to the unpainted ends, which I told her to paint but she didn't listen.

Properly maintained I think pine is a viable option. They won't last forever.

I made a two-person Adirondack bench out of cedar. It's been untreated for three years and is doing well despite being left out 100% of the time. At some point it will get painted.
So, neighbor was over...took a look at plans and wood samples.   He was interested in my using cedar decking (knotty STK) for the structure and clear cedar for the arms and slats.  Question he had (and now so do I)...is the cedar too soft for chair use?  Will it dent and mar on the arms?   I suggested using a clear penetrating finish that will give it some 'resistance'.   He voted OUT pine because of it's lack of protection from the elements (will be clear finished, not painted)...the other woods were out of his price range.  To tell you the truth, I have extra 5/4 cedar STK decking from my own deck project last year, thus if I use it, cost goes down.     I just don't want to spend the time and effort to have it look like crap after a year of use.     Wish he could spring for a hardwood....oh well.
Cedar is soft, but your not making a work bench. Do not do a film finish!!! Looks great at first, but when it goes to poop, a real PITA to redo right. Use a deck type stain, then when it needs to be refreshed a light sanding and recoat.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

I second the deck stain. Also, take the time to make templates for the plan. Adirondack chairs are addicting, you will use the templates many times

(11-22-2016, 06:37 PM)AlanS Wrote: So, neighbor was over...took a look at plans and wood samples.   He was interested in my using cedar decking (knotty STK) for the structure and clear cedar for the arms and slats.  Question he had (and now so do I)...is the cedar too soft for chair use?  Will it dent and mar on the arms?   I suggested using a clear penetrating finish that will give it some 'resistance'.   He voted OUT pine because of it's lack of protection from the elements (will be clear finished, not painted)...the other woods were out of his price range.  To tell you the truth, I have extra 5/4 cedar STK decking from my own deck project last year, thus if I use it, cost goes down.     I just don't want to spend the time and effort to have it look like crap after a year of use.     Wish he could spring for a hardwood....oh well.

Your guy is putting too many conditions on this; clear finish, durable, cheap. . . . .

Yes, cedar will dent and mar, it is pretty soft.  I agree with comment about a clear finish, it will look like chit after 2 years or so and a PITA to renew.  If you are building for free, or nominal cost, he should invest in a proper wood, my preference is unfinished cypress to meet his conditions, but it will gray over time and he won't likely like that.  He needs a reality check, IMHO. . . . . If he wants cheap, pine, painted, with freshen up of a light coat each year they will last a decade or more.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis