Boatman53 Sharpening Jig...report
As I told Jim, I am not a "hand tool guy" but I do like sharp.

I do hand cut dove tails and butterfly/bow- tie inlay and not much more with hand tools.  But...one thing I am passionate about is sharp!  At age ten or eleven I received my first pocket knife. My dad's only requirement...The center blade had to be sharp enough to castrate calves. He taught me early.  My tools, kitchen knives, and pocket knives may not be the sharpest but they are very sharp.  All of that to say: I like a tool or jig that enhances the process.  Jim kindly added me to the pass-around list and the following is part of an email I sent him. 

Jim, you are my new best friend. Thanks to you I have:
  • resurrected a 1 1/2" Stanley 750 that showed up years ago with a bad edge.  Maybe 10 minutes on the Tormek, 15 passes on course diamond, 15 passes on 1000 diamond, 25 passes on White Arkansas, and 7 passes on the strop...perfection!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • resurrected a 1" plastic Stanley my wife had used to "clean brick" 16 years ago when we remodeled. Same procedure.
  • resurrected a 1" plastic Buck that I found.  Same procedure.
  • four block plane irons, Started on the 1000 diamond.
  • two plane irons, starting on the 1000.
  • one Stanley shoulder iron.
  • I have 18 Lie-Nielson and Stanley chisels I recently sharpened so I did not re-sharpen them.

Observations:
  • Impressive design
  • Great "heft", no China short cuts
  • Registration pins...brilliant idea, this is where I realized you really went the extra mile. Don't let anyone talk you out of these.
  • I have small hands, the first two chisels took a while to balance, juggle, and tighten; afterwards no problem.
  • Out of the box the rollers were sluggish.  I removed the axel cleaned and oiled the parts... rollers spin with ease.
  • The projection plate is a great idea.

Concerns:
  • Production cost vs. Market:  I have only used the cheap honing guide that Woodcraft and Rockler sell. For years I have wanted something better.  My wife gives me a nice allowance so price has not been the issue. I considered the Veritas and Lie-Nielson but in both cases you buy the guide then you need extras.  As you know, there are many to choose from, and for you, to compete with.  After Lie-Nielson sees yours they will say "Why didn't we think of that?"
  • I believe your jig is better than anything I have seen.

Summation:
  • Jim, you have invented a better "mouse trap".
  • I want one.
  • By letting me test your jig, I am now possessed with envy, desire, something unnatural!!!!!!!  Thanks a lot Jim.
  • I wish you all the luck in the world! You deserve it.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
I couldn't agree more. I was lucky enough to be a "beta tester" for the jig and I have loved it since day 1. I know the other testers here also love it and there are many, many folks waiting for production
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
This is a very exciting subject. I am new to hand tools and have just switched to waterstones. I am super excited to get this new jig.
Is there a time frame on when and if this jig would be available to other woodnetters such as myself?
Thanks
Gordon
Gordon, or anyone else if you want to try out the demo jigs for a week or so, send me a PM and I'll tell you how to sign up. Not many people left on the list as it stands.

Thanks for the review Bill.
Jim
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.
When you have these for sale, I hope you will sell to your many woodnet friends first!

After reading the reviews, I don't need to demo, I just want one to keep.

Let us know when you are taking orders.
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite
P M sent.  Would be an honor to test run the jig and post a review.

Thank you, Jim
Don't worry Martin, WoodNet has always been the first to know everything. 
Don PM replied to.
Jim
Jim, thank you for the offer, but I do not feel I would have enough experience with sharpening to be a critic of any device.
I will have to rely on the reports of other more experienced sharpeners here on this site.
I do respect and enjoy quality tools though and it sounds like your guide is definitely in that category and that is why I am interested in the tool.
Thanks again
Gordon
Don't be bashful Gordon, actually it would be quite useful to me if you gave it a try. I would love the input of an inexperienced person and how they feel about it. Was it easy to understand etc.
The offer is still good.
Jim
Here's a little extra.

The guide below looks different because it was the first one made. The guide others are testing out have a couple of mods. 

Anyway, it is not just grinding on a wheel that this guide can do. Today I needed to grind the primary bevels on a couple of Veritas and Ray Isles mortice chisels - the secondary bevels had grown larger-than-desired. This affects penetration. 

Grinding the flat primary bevel is done on a belt sander ...

[Image: Mortice-chisel2_zpsumjvcdso.jpg]

Returning the primary bevel ...

[Image: Mortice-chisel1_zpssyzazl7e.jpg]

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com