Vertical lumber rack
I'm looking to build some vertical lumber storage. The bottom and the back will be at 90 degrees to one another. But I'm wondering how much lean back would be good. 10 or 15 degrees sounds about right. But, before I started, I figured someone might have some tips or experience.
Shame on the men who can court exemption from present trouble and expense at the price of their own posterity's liberty! - Samuel Adams
How much room have you got to spare? All my racks have been 90 degree to conserve floor space.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
90* would work with some Bungee cords or other device to keep from falling forward if it is movable.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

You have a hardwood dealer close by? Go see how theirs is set up. The HW dealer I go to has their nicer wood vertical and the more common wood in stacks.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

Are you going to be viewing the boards on-edge or face?

If/when I go vertical, I'm thinking I'll try on-edge, and then wedge to keep the boards vertical.
Any tilt towards the back wall would be very minor, as the goal of having them on-edge is to be able to pull them out to inspect.

Matt
Here's how we do it.

Keep it as vertical as possible, with cables that can be easily removed for safety.

[Image: 20160120_141358%20600%20x%20337_zpsa3wtjxes.jpg]

[Image: metro%20pic%202_zpsiddrdmpt.jpg]

[Image: metro%20pic%203_zpssmzdo3qq.jpg]
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
Thanks. I was assuming I would store everything with the faces forward. I have a 10' wide section of room with about 3' on the floor to use. The tricky part is that the overhead door rails run across part of the space 8' above the floor.
Shame on the men who can court exemption from present trouble and expense at the price of their own posterity's liberty! - Samuel Adams
There's no reason to invest a lot of money in this project unless you're in business, or some other personal reason.  I attached a 2 x 4' to my wall and then used threaded black pipe and mounts from the borg.  HD will thread all the pipe for free.  I didn't put anything on the concrete floor as I wanted all the vertical height I had.  For me, I've found most of my boards will lean in towards the wall and backwards on the pipe just fine.  Sometimes I have to flip a board around.  Mine rest like books on a shelf so I can see the edges of every board but my boards are two deep on 2' pipe.  They lean back on to the pipe at slight angle.  This way I can pull one board out without handling a bunch of boards.  Getting this wood off the floor was time well spent.  It was a "why did I wait so long moment".....

My local Lowe's stores small pieces leaned on end. Every piece of molding etc. is bowed from being stored this way. Might have been OK if it was vertical.

My boss is a Jewish carpenter. Our DADDY owns the business.
Trying to understand some people is like trying to pick up the clean end of a turd.
Another option that I use. You can bind or not bind. It let's you see the thickness and height of every board and unbound, you can look at any board.

For me the binding prevents the boards from falling over.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/attachmen...1419659014

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/attachmen...g05716.jpg

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/attachmen...1419658609

Rob