Vertical lumber rack
(11-17-2016, 05:48 AM)Kansas City Fireslayer Wrote: There's no reason to invest a lot of money in this project unless you're in business, or some other personal reason.  I attached a 2 x 4' to my wall and then used threaded black pipe and mounts from the borg.  HD will thread all the pipe for free.  I didn't put anything on the concrete floor as I wanted all the vertical height I had.  For me, I've found most of my boards will lean in towards the wall and backwards on the pipe just fine.  Sometimes I have to flip a board around.  Mine rest like books on a shelf so I can see the edges of every board but my boards are two deep on 2' pipe.  They lean back on to the pipe at slight angle.  This way I can pull one board out without handling a bunch of boards.  Getting this wood off the floor was time well spent.  It was a "why did I wait so long moment".....

I did something very similar but added a piece of PVC pipe over the black pipe.  This was to keep the oil, dirt, and rust off my stock.  Then I put a pipe cap on each piece to hold the plastic on.
I have had my vertical rack in my garage for a few years now. Like others i hing a 2x6 and then mounted some threaded pipe. While at 90 degrees, and packed tight on edge so imcan see what inhave better, i did place a vapor barrier and a base made of 2 x4 and scrap ply. I gave up 2 inches but know that i a full board i can use. The reality is that most boards that were close needed the ends cut anyway.

I use rope tied to the pipe to keep things in order.

Making this rack was one of the best moves i made in my garage. Not only do imhave much better access to my wood, but i can use the rest of the garage to park a car.

I have never regretted going vertical.
Tools that are no good require greater skill.
When I got tired of having to remove boards from my rack, just to check grain, etc, on a board in my horizontal rack, and wanting end access, I built this rack that lets me slide any board out, to inspect. I load it from the back end at the shop rear door. (recently replaced!)

[Image: rack.jpg]
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
10 degrees is fine.  Mine is about 10 feet tall and about 14" out at the bottom.

The major advantage of vertical storage is sorting through boards infinitely easier.

Personally I would never even consider 90 degree vertical rack and cables unless you just want  some boards to fall on your head!
If you are planning on vertical stacking your lumber, whether parallel to the wall or 90 degrees to the wall, save yourself a lot of headaches. It really makes a huge difference if you trim the end facing the floor to 90 degrees. That way it does not tip or tilt to one side or the other because of an uneven end cut.