Talk to me about router lifts.
Until recently I had a Freud router in my table, one of the models that you could raise from the top side. It was a pretty good router, but it died awhile ago and I can't seem to revive it. I have a handful of other routers already, including a big beefy Porter Cable that would make a fine table router, but I miss being able to lift it from the top side. Can you guys school me a bit on whats out there for router lifts? I notice a major price spread in whats available and I'm not sure its worth $300 or $400 to me for the convenience of raising the router from the top. As I said, I was ok with the Freud, even though the  mechanism was pretty rudimentary- and the whole router was less than the price of some lifts. Thanks!
(11-17-2016, 09:15 PM)ed kerns Wrote: Until recently I had a Freud router in my table, one of the models that you could raise from the top side. It was a pretty good router, but it died awhile ago and I can't seem to revive it. I have a handful of other routers already, including a big beefy Porter Cable that would make a fine table router, but I miss being able to lift it from the top side. Can you guys school me a bit on whats out there for router lifts? I notice a major price spread in whats available and I'm not sure its worth $300 or $400 to me for the convenience of raising the router from the top. As I said, I was ok with the Freud, even though the  mechanism was pretty rudimentary- and the whole router was less than the price of some lifts. Thanks!

Well if you already have a motor to use in the lift then a router that does well without a lift (ie Triton) is going to cost a big chunk of a lift, so the dollar difference may be smaller than it appears.  I am a big fan of the Woodpecker PRL but the Incra, Jessum, Benchdog lifts are all excellent and basically amounts to flipping a coin as everyone will have their favorite.
I couldn't bring myself to shell out the cash for a new 3+ hp Porter cable router PLUS a big expensive lift. I have a 3hp Hitachi that's a good powerful table router, and spent about $100 on a router raizer which has been a great upgrade and save me a lot of money. Just another avenue to consider.
He three different brand routers attached to plates. A triton a milwaukee (small one) and craftsman. All 3 work equally well and adjustable from over the table however I never adjust from over the table. The milwaukee is my favorite but I have been collecting more of the craftsman ones as the bang for the buck can't be beat.

Have used a router lift and while it was nice iit didn't do anything I couldn't do with any of the above routers so I can't justify buying a lift.
Agreed that if I were to go out and buy another router, I'd get one that was top adjustable. I have 5 routers now including the big Porter Cable I referenced. I really don't need another. Maybe the question should be, for about the same money, am I better off buying a lift for a router I own or buying another router with top side adjustment? I have never used any lift. I would hope I could make fine adjustments more accurately (and quicker, easier) than with a  router with a 'built in' lift.
I have to admit, that this entire conversation reminds me of a classic '1st world problem'. I can easily pop my current router out of the table, adjust it and put it back in, in a couple of minutes. It's just for those times when the adjustment is minuscule and I'd like not to disturb the set up, that a lift would be very handy.
I have a door that I open and reach through to unlock and adjust the height. I llet the lock drag while adjusting the height as all locks when unlocked allow play.
If my lift died today I would go get another. The cost is well worth the confidence to me.
Fill your heart with compassion, seek the jewel in every soul, share a word of kindness, and remember; the people's what it's about.
Capt. Tony Tarracino

(11-17-2016, 09:15 PM)ed kerns Wrote: Until recently I had a Freud router in my table, one of the models that you could raise from the top side. It was a pretty good router, but it died awhile ago and I can't seem to revive it. I have a handful of other routers already, including a big beefy Porter Cable that would make a fine table router, but I miss being able to lift it from the top side. Can you guys school me a bit on whats out there for router lifts? I notice a major price spread in whats available and I'm not sure its worth $300 or $400 to me for the convenience of raising the router from the top. As I said, I was ok with the Freud, even though the  mechanism was pretty rudimentary- and the whole router was less than the price of some lifts. Thanks!

I've had the Woodpecker PRL for 15+ years now and would buy it again in a heartbeat! It has a Porter Cable 7518 3 HP router in it and the combo will do anything "routing". For me it makes router table operations easy and convenient. Woodpecker folks are also nice to deal with, IMHO.

Doug
(11-18-2016, 12:11 PM)Tapper Wrote: I've had the Woodpecker PRL for 15+ years now and would buy it again in a heartbeat! It has a Porter Cable 7518 3 HP router in it and the combo will do anything "routing". For me it makes router table operations easy and convenient. Woodpecker folks are also nice to deal with, IMHO.

Doug

This is worth repeating - same set-up as I have used for 12+ years and would do it again in a heartbeat.  +1 on Woodpecker's people.
MKM - Master Kindling Maker
I love all the new lifts - causes people to sell the PRL V1s. The PRL V1 Woodpecker is my fav - have a collection of them (two in use and one waiting on a planned install) and would buy a couple more.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.