Talk to me about router lifts.
(11-20-2016, 06:49 PM)daveferg Wrote: Hey, just MHO, but I've got better things to buy with my tool money.  This is woodworking, not precision machining.  I have a Milwaukee 3 1/2 hp router with from the top height adjustment and it's more than adequate.

I'm with you, Dave.  Between Google and YouTube, I put together a home-made lift for about $20.  I'm no mechanical genius, so if I can do it, any of you folks can.
Smile
(11-20-2016, 06:49 PM)daveferg Wrote: Hey, just MHO, but I've got better things to buy with my tool money.  This is woodworking, not precision machining.  I have a Milwaukee 3 1/2 hp router with from the top height adjustment and it's more than adequate.

Dave

Do not forget there are a lot of people like me that need the extra help when it comes to things like this.
Yes
Also with the big part of the older work force at retirement age things that have a computer or like that is plain easier
Yes
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(11-17-2016, 09:15 PM)ed kerns Wrote: Until recently I had a Freud router in my table, one of the models that you could raise from the top side. It was a pretty good router, but it died awhile ago and I can't seem to revive it. I have a handful of other routers already, including a big beefy Porter Cable that would make a fine table router, but I miss being able to lift it from the top side. Can you guys school me a bit on whats out there for router lifts? I notice a major price spread in whats available and I'm not sure its worth $300 or $400 to me for the convenience of raising the router from the top. As I said, I was ok with the Freud, even though the  mechanism was pretty rudimentary- and the whole router was less than the price of some lifts. Thanks!

Is there a decision yet?

Doug
Thanks for the conversation guys. The diversity of opinion is one of the things I really appreciate about this forum.
I'm leaning toward buying an independent lift. It's not because I physically have difficulty in repositioning the PC router in the table, but its a beast;  heavy and clumsy and hard to make tiny adjustments. As a bonus, I was lucky enough to pick up the router used and for really cheap, so not too much tool guilt for spending the extra to make it really perform. All that said, I'm perfectly willing to be patient in my shopping. I haven't yet seen a killer 'black Friday' or Cyber Monday deal, but I am on the look out!
In the case of the Woodpecker products, my guess is that you will not find a "killer" deal on one of their lifts. They are made with quality material and workmanship and worth what they are asking. You might get lucky and find one on Ebay, Craigslist or you could post a "want to buy" here on the Swap N Sell board (I've had pretty good luck there). You might also call Woodpecker just to see if they have any "blems" - long shot but you never know. Ask to speak to Justin. 

Doug