Talk to me about router lifts.
(11-18-2016, 01:21 PM)BloomingtonMike Wrote: I love all the new lifts - causes people to sell the PRL V1s. The PRL V1 Woodpecker is my fav - have a collection of them (two in use and one waiting on a planned install) and would buy a couple more.

The V1 is also my favorite.

RE the question of buy a top adjuster or lift for the current motor the OP has, get the lift, the best in table plungers (arguably the Tritons) are not near as good as a big motor in one of the quality lifts I mentioned, the debate gets more interesting when you are comparing a $300 router to a $600 router and motor, if you have a motor you don't mind dedicating to a lift and you don't have a plunge router that works well in a table you could use then it is a no-brainer, get the lift.
I notice a lot of love for PRL version one which seems to be no longer in production. Any significant difference (good or bad) between V-1 and V-2?
(11-18-2016, 02:56 PM)ed kerns Wrote: I notice a lot of love for PRL version one which seems to be no longer in production. Any significant difference (good or bad) between V-1 and V-2?

Looks like they're only offering the V2 presently. Take a gander at their website (www.woodpeck.com) and look at the video on this lift. It's available in several different configurations depending on your setup. 

Good luck!

Doug
Back when I knew nothing about tools, the VA bought me the Porter Cable 7518 3 HP and I bought the JessEm Mast-R-Lift II 02120 Router Lift, 9-1/4-Inch by 11-3/4-Inch.

Now there is a foot operated one by MCLS

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_...t_pro.html

If I had the funds now I WOULD get this now.  All digital.  Just read everything it says and you will fall in love with it and all that it does.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Hey, just MHO, but I've got better things to buy with my tool money. This is woodworking, not precision machining. I have a Milwaukee 3 1/2 hp router with from the top height adjustment and it's more than adequate.
Dave
I think a lot depends on the router too.

A router that you have to twist the base on to adjust the height is kind of annoying in a router table.
A plunge router that you have to twist the knob under the table to adjust is not quite so bad..

Anyhow, OP.. since you already have a big PC router, I would just go ahead and buy the lift for it as opposed to buying another router that is easily adjustable. The lift will probably last you forever and then in the future, you are not limiting yourself to buying a router that must be adjusted from the top.  I finally bought the bench dog wing for the table saw, I wish I had done that a long time ago to save floor space.. Anyhow, a lift is really nice in a table saw wing, since it is kind of awkward (But not impossible) to reach under the table saw to adjust the router table height (although obviously a router with the adjustment at the base serves the same purpose).
I use a Router Raizer.  99 bucks.

Crude but it works ok for me.
WoodSmith has a book with a home made router lift in it. I have been planning on building one to fit a Bosch Colt. I have plenty of plywood scraps I can use. Just glue on some strips to make a templet and go. I have the book at my shop and I can go over and get the title if anyone is interested.
(11-17-2016, 10:32 PM)cvillewood Wrote: I couldn't bring myself to shell out the cash for a new 3+ hp Porter cable router PLUS a big expensive lift. I have a 3hp Hitachi that's a good powerful table router, and spent about $100 on a router raizer which has been a great upgrade and save me a lot of money. Just another avenue to consider.

I have the router raizer on a Freud FT2000E. It has done what I've asked of it but the fineness of adjustment may not suit everyone. The screw on the router raizer is 3/8" 16 t.p.i. so one full turn moves the bit 1/16", 1/2 turn 1/32" etc. There's enough drag in the router raizer mechanism that I haven't found it necessary to lock the router to prevent it moving yet it's pretty easy to turn with the included crank. One thing that is handy re the Freud is the spindle locking mechanism, it's a sliding plate so there's no need for two wrenches to change bits. Bit changes take <1 minute.
If you are considering the Woodpeckers or Jessem lifts, I suggest you go with the INCRA branded versions- made by Woodpeckers and Jessemm but with the better designed INCRA insert plates.