?? About using Kreg jig
If I want to join a 2 by 4 to the side of a 4 by 4 post, how do I clamp or  hold the 2 by 4 firm so that it doesn't move while I drive the screw?

Thanks
I would clamp a second 2 x 4 to the back of the one you are mounting. Use a short piece- 9 inches? Then you can use this cleat to clamp the piece in place?

If this is for a deck rail or something like that, just clamp a block to the 4 x 4 just below or above and then clamp the 2x4 to the block.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Are you using the kreg HD jig and large screws? Good for big wood and strong.
id grab a parallel clamp/s. Really depends on the clamp and wood position and what I had available.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Bandsaw

I have never heard of the HD jig. What the difference between this and the regular Kreg jig? Would I be better off using some type of dowel system? I have never used dowels and would have to purchase something. 

Thanks
Kreg makes 3 sizes of jig. Check the Kreg site. The big one, HD, is meant to meet strength requirement for side loads in some building codes.

I find the small jig, micro I think it's called, very handy. Uses small screws closer together.
The HD Jig is just that , heavier duty , Larger screws and drill bit to use . Gary
Like this?

[Image: 101737495_web.jpg]

Using one of these sure helps pull it tight.

[Image: 6aa6b056b13dc316d7ff367852bde799.jpg]

Agree to size the jig, and therefore the screws to the size of the project.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Kreg HD uses #14  by 2 1/2" screws - 1/2" drill bit