What's the difference between "Solid Stain" and paint?
We've always used the "semi-transparent" stain to show the grain in our cedar siding, but it's getting a bit weathered and I got to wondering about the "solid" stain.

How is it different from paint?

Do you have to strip it before restaining? 

How long does it last?

Confused
Confused
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
I consider solid stain as paint.
It covers like a paint, but it really doesnt peel off and alligator like paint does over time.  Instead, it gets a bit chalky and just wears thin. 

A solid stain will sand smooth when it is time for a re-coat.  Paint, not so much...

Paint will keep its color longer, stain needs to be recoated sooner.
-who?
lack of pigment and binders, I would not use either if I knew I had to redo down the road.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

Off the top of my head----titanium dioxide.
Big Grin
I used solid color stain on an outdoor bench and it's held up better than any outdoor finish I've used. I second the ease of later re-coating as well. After 7 years the n the weather, it still doesn't need recoating.
Dave
Assuming proper prep and application the paint will last longer.
Assuming incorrect prep or application you have a better chance that the stain will last longer. Stain is very forgiving if the prep or application is not good.
On bare wood the stain is easier to apply, it doesn't need a primer where the paint does. On touch ups and subsequent coats, the stained surfaced only needs a power wash where the paint needs a power wash and possibly another prime coat.
Paint can peel or flake; I've never seen stain do that.
Stain is watery and goes deeper into the wood than paint will.
Stain cannot be applied over paint.
Stain is much cheaper than painting due to lower cost of stain and far less labor to prep and apply.
Wood Jets, lets not forget UV exposure and wood movement; enhanced with wood items left outside. Also you cannot deny that the is much, much less work refinishing a solid color stain than paint, which has to be scraped sanded and feathered.
Dave
Generally true Dave,
However, there are paints available that offer excellent UV resistance, will not fade nor become chalky for at 15 years.
(11-21-2016, 01:21 PM)daveferg Wrote: Wood Jets, lets not forget UV exposure and wood movement; enhanced with wood items left outside.  Also you cannot deny that the is much, much less work refinishing a solid color stain than paint, which has to be scraped sanded and feathered.

There is always clear paint.
Yes  This is walnut after a year outside. Two coats of SW ultra deep tint base.[Image: HPIM2181_zpsfpvwv81k.jpg]