Remote control vent louvers?
Try a simple deflector to divert the airflow towards an outside wall.  5 minutes and some heavy tinfoil will show you if that is an answer.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

(11-19-2016, 05:51 PM)Herb G Wrote: The problem is one vent. When it's open, it triggers the t-stat to shut off early.
When it's closed, it gets so hot upstairs, it's unbearable.
Also, when the vent in question is open, it runs you out of the room it's in.

My computer happens to be directly underneath this vent.
Angry

Yeah, I know to move the t-stat, but that's easier said than done.
I'd like to be able to shut & open the problem causing vent by remote is why I asked.

It's a major PITA, because it's in the ceiling and hard to reach.
Upset

Is the register blowing directly (or in the direction of) on the thermostat? Or is the register blowing against the wall?

Perhaps a different register or change it's direction. I've seen them installed backwards.

*Yes- The filters can restrict too much air and cause problems- especially as they load up. 3 month filters should be changed every month in most cases.  It doesn't always cause problems, but they do affect the systems efficiency- but what choice do you have? The old cheap fiberglass see-through filters don't do much.
 Buy the "good" ones, not the "best", unless you have a lot of extra filter area.