Thin kerf blade users
Does anyone use the blade stiffeners you can get? I am thinking of getting the thin kerf Forrest combination blade and they recommend it.

If the saw matters, it's a Ridgid TS3650.
"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11
been using a thin kerf forrester for years with no stiffener and have not had a problem.  Got it originally for my underpowered crapsmans. later, I got a 5 hp unisaw and did not change the blade.
Though I no longer use them (dang grizzly cabinet saw only came with a full kerf riving knife) I used thin Kreg for a decade or more. I never used a stiffener and can't imagine what I was missing.
-Marc

I used stiffeners with thin kerf blades on my Unisaw for years. For some reason I no longer recall, probably lazyness, I stopped using them. I havent noticed any difference. I have a few full kerf blades that I seldom use. I use thin kerf blades almost exclusively now with no stiffeners.
I had a set years ago and used them, only down side was decreased depth of cut.  Stopped using them when I switched to a Lee Valley stiffener, which had set screws that you used to true up the blade and eliminate any runout,  ( don't think they make that product anymore ) ,  then eventually switched to a more powerful saw and went full kerf.  Agree with the others that I did not see much benefit to the regular stiffener, though I thought the LV product was great.
They recommend the stiffener because it's good business, as in highly profitable.  If your saw is setup correctly, and the blade is high quality, you shouldn't need one.  
If you really want improved cutting performance, buy a good quality separate crosscut blade and a ripper.
Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Before buying the blade, determine if the blade guard/splitter is compatible with a thin kerf blade. I have read of some table saw not having a thin enough splitter/guard to accommodate the thinner kerf blades.
(11-19-2016, 09:09 AM)barryvabeach Wrote: I had a set years ago and used them, only down side was decreased depth of cut.  

Big depth losses when using limited-clearance inserts.  Keep the feed rate modest - no audibly distinguishable slowing of the rotation, and the blade won't squirm.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
I have the MJ splitters in my LV cart. I am fairly certain the guard that came with the saw (ironically never used and still in the plastic) is not for thin kerf blades. with the splitters, push sticks, featherboards and the like I think I'd be happy.
Thanks for the feedback BTW everybody.