Carving workholding question
Well, the "poor man's carving vise" description certainly fits my budget right now. :
Smile Just bought the carving chisels for the class. YIKES! Thank you for the link.
    Well it looks like it is actually going to be Cabriolet leg with Ball and Claw in Walnut. Nothing like jumping right out of the frying pan into the flames.
Crazy
BontzSawWorks.net
I use a parrot vise.  I didn't get mine from Grizzly, but here's a pic.  It rotates and tilts, allowing you a lot of different angles to position your work.

[Image: GrizzlyhandH3302Lrg.jpg]
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I took a letter carving class at north bennet street, and what they used was quite simple.  They made a simple raised ply bench, looking like its made of scraps and leftovers, and you just toenailed it into the sacrificial raised benchtop.  Simple.  Getting the word up higher is good for accuracy and getting a good look for flat surfaces too.