Mahogany dining room build
Stunning. Care to share your finishing process?
Waterloomarc,  The field of the top is 7/8" and the beadboard ends are a full inch.  Usually you see the extra depth of the breadboard end on the top surface of the table top but that wouldn't work for a dining room table where dishes need to slide smoothly across the top.  So the added 1/8" depth is on the bottom surface.  I centered the 3/8" mortise on the table field end and adjusted the mortise on the breadboard end to accomplish that. Ken
This is fine work on a grand scale. Congratulations to all involved.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
Mound, good luck and enjoy it.  Ken
Thanks, John.  Always a pleasure to work with you.  And yes, we do need new chairs but there seems to be a philosophical difference of opinion in our house of what those should look like.  The LOML likes moulded/modernish/plasticey chairs and my preference runs to chairs that look like chairs aka, Craftsman/Greene and Greeene/etc.  So we are still working on that.   Ken
JokerRN, I sanded to 220 and then raised the grain twice with scuff sanding at 220.  I sprayed water based red mahogany dye liberally and then immediately wiped the excess off.  After that had dried overnight, I sprayed a thin coat of shellac undiluted, I think it was a 2 pound cut.  I sprayed 4 coats of GF Endurovar undiluted on the top and bottom of the table top and 3 coats on the understructure.  After the second coat of varnish and the third as well, I hand sanded with 400 grit wrapped around a felt surfaced block.  Endurovar sprays beautifully. 

I don't have a dedicated spray booth so I improvised one by isolating one bay of my garage with plastic sheeting and a plastic tarp on the floor.  I cut a hole in a half sheet of plywood big enough to fit my big HF floor fan in and then used plastic sheeting to finish closing the door opening.  I opened 2 man doors at the other ends of the shop and pulled air across the table.  Worked like a charm.  I will give a plug to the HF floor stand fans, which I think is about 36" across.  It is a great fan at a very nice price. I use a 4 stage Fuji turbine with the Fuji gun.  Ken
Ken, thanks for the thorough answers. They're much appreciate. And again fantastic work.
-Marc

Thumbs Up 
Beautiful job on the table, Ken! [Image: thumbsup.png] Being out of mahogany with those ebony inserts, it has a real "Greene and Greene" look to it - would be right at home in the Gamble House!!!

Doug
Great looking table. I may have missed it but what wood did you use?

There are two theories to arguing with a woman... neither works.

My stuff
Hi Rick.  Thanks and it is of Honduran mahogany.  Ken