Drilling really large holes - how?
Bob10,  thanks for the reply.  The customhole saw you recommend is interesting and cuts far deeper than a standard holesaw bit.  At $240, makes me think to keep looking.  Also gives me an idea that I could possibly make my own cutter similar in design with one carbide cutter.........
This hobby sure can get out of hand fast....... 
Big Grin
You have a lathe, bore it out. If you don't, get one.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
I was surprised about the question on 12" stock I saw a pile of it sitting next to a dumpster yesterday.  They use it for cribbing on freeway projects all the time here.  When we picked up my house IIRC the cribbing was 10"
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Didn't we have a question like this not long ago where the OP was drilling a whole bunch of holes for lights in a stair system or something. My suggestion is to use a series of drilled holes within the determined size hole with forstner bits. The use a drum sander to smooth out the edges. You can use an oscillating spindle sander if you have one or buy a drum sander setup for a drill motor and do it that way.
John T.
OP here again.  Appreciate the advice and thoughts about boring large holes in large wood.,
Some thoughts on the suggestions here:

1    I do have a lathe and a big lathe but how to turn and bore a hole in the SIDE of a 12" x 12" x 48" board on a lathe?

2    The advice about using spade and/or forstner bits.  I am unaware of bits being made in the sizes of 5" to 8" diameter.

I am still exploring ideas and appreciate the comments made here.
Can you laminate 12 1" pieces, each with a hole through them?

Watcha making?
CNC would do it 

As a get by an offset base router and a small base plunge router  could do the work but it would take some effort and mods of the routers to work deep
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Here is an idea, but it may not be the safest.

Using a template and a router, make a hole.  You should be able to get 1" deep.
Hog out the remaining material so that it is close.
Put an 8" saw blade in an arbor and chuck the arbor into the drill press.
The hole made with the router is the alignment hole.  Clamp everything well.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
I just thought of something else and that is a twist drill with the 14" boring bits that were used 100 years ago.  The guys in hand tools can tell you much better then I.

I do have the 8" or 10" throw and I think a 1.5" bit that is 14 to 16" long to auger it out which I will loan you.  Just PM me if you wish to.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
An 8" diameter hole 12" through is the question
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy