Respect those table saws
I got a call earlier tonight. from my mom, who was at the hospital with my dad after he pretty much cut the end of his thumb off.  It was completely through the bone and only held on by skin.  No word yet on what can be done with it and they may need to go to another hospital.

I've mentioned before I cringe when he's in my shop, which has a lot more HP in it than his.  I don't know the details of what happened, but figured it was a good PSA moment.  While writing this I recall earlier this year he put his hand into his shaper, as well, only it was just a little lost skin.  It's hard to lecture your dad on safety, but I just hope he stops doing the scary things I see him do more than I should.

Bob
Sorry to hear that Bob.  I hope your Dad recovers with no serious damage.  Might be a good time to have a heart to heart with him.  

John
Hope all goes well with his medical care. May be getting close to time to scale down his shop.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(11-19-2016, 11:54 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Sorry to hear that Bob.  I hope your Dad recovers with no serious damage.  Might be a good time to have a heart to heart with him.  

John

He was actually just starting the process of building it up, he just moved everything down to his basement and started building work benches and bought several tools, including the TS. 

I talked to my mom again and it looks like he might be able to keep most of it, but he did cut through the tendon so he won't be able to bend it.  He also cut through the nail bed so that may or may not grow back.  I guess he went into surgery about 0130.  My mom was getting ready to head back to the hospital to see him, so I'll find out more then.  She did say that he told her he has no idea why he put his thumb down there.  It might have been a knee jerk reaction to the board not doing what it was suppose to. 

Bob
man... that stinks.. hope he heals as quickly and painlessly as possible.

If your dad won't take a safety lecture from you, maybe try having friend over  to "learn safety" sometime while your dad happens to be there.  You can teach the friend and your dad might both learn and keep a bit more dignity.  It's an old trick that the military uses to teach old dogs new tricks (have the present while you teach basics to a new person...)

Lawrence
Shazam!! You could be right!!!!!!!
- Timberwolf, 12/23/14

my portfolio
http://s171.photobucket.com/user/ldr_klr/slideshow/portfolio?sort=6
I spoke to him and he still doesn't know what happened.  He said there was no reason to put his hand there and was using a push stick with his right hand (he hurt his left).  He said it was almost like he blacked out for a second and the next thing he knew the saw made a funny sound, which was when it was cutting his thumb. 

Bob
" He said it was almost like he blacked out for a second...."

How old is your dad? If he "blacked out" that does not sound good for operating machinery or driving. Might be something to discuss further with him and his physician. Did or had your mother noticed any changes in your in your dad before this accident?
A friend of mine displayed a similar symptom...his mechanic stool "bucked him off" once, and some other momentary issues...he's got a pacemaker now.

Like Ray said, this is very probably worth checking out medically before he drives or works in the shop again.
Dave Arbuckle was kind enough to create a Sketchup model of my WorkMate benchtop: http://www.arbolloco.com/sketchup/MauleSkinnerBenchtop.skp
Sorry to hear about your Dad's accident, Bob. I'm of the opinion that these things happen so fast and violently that sometimes the victim is left puzzled by what just happened and how. I hope he recovers fast and well. These incidents typically force us to rethink or safety habits in the shop. Thanks for the reminder.
Best,
 Bob
"All that I do or say is all that I ever will be"

Billy Joe Shaver, Old Five and Dimers Like Me
Sorry to hear that Bob. When I hear "my Dad", I only have my personal reference now that I'm 62 and Dad has been gone several years. How old a Man is he? My next question is not asked to make you angry, but if he is older, how sound are his faculties? My Dad had Alzheimer's, and at first he just did quirky stuff. He and his Brothers were all skilled craftsmen at a young age, and tools were not unfamiliar to any of them. There came a time I had to take all of the tools out of Mom and Dads house. It sucked, but not as bad as Mom telling me he'd done something else and got hurt again.

Total apologies if you are 27, and he is 45. Just reading this, sounded familiar with 2 dinks in a short time, and I would feel worse if I didn't say something, to have you report a more serious injury later.

I wrote before I read, and seems I am not the only one wondering the same thoughts.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW