kitchen sink drain
Kitchen sink basket drain leaks. installed new kitchen sink and two new basket drains. one keeps leaking. I would find it leaking, so I tightened the lock ring. stopped for several days. then leaked again and lock ring was loose. took it all apart, added plumbers putty a little thicker than before, reassembled, tightened the locking ring and all good....foe a few days. again the leak came back and ring was a little loose again. What gives. is there not a gasket that replaces the putty? Puddy does not seem to be getting very hard.
"There are no great men. Just great challenges which ordinary men,out of necessity, are forced by circumstance to meet."
Admiral William Frederick "Bull" Halsey Jr.

The putty should never get hard. That is what allows it to to its job.

You might disassemble and verify if the mating surfaces are flat and true to each other. I usually apply the putty thick enough that I get a bit of squeeze out. Doing it that way has let to some additional clean up, but never any leaks.
Shame on the men who can court exemption from present trouble and expense at the price of their own posterity's liberty! - Samuel Adams
What type material is the sink? Stainless steel? Plumber's putty is only recommended for SS.
(11-21-2016, 12:41 PM)K. L McReynolds Wrote: What type material is the sink? Stainless steel? Plumber's putty is only recommended for SS.

Not for porcelain??
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

should be okay for porcelain, I believe plumbers putty should not be used with granite/stone sinks. Silicone should work....
It is okay for porcelain, it was rhetorical question.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

Strange that once tight the putty wouldn't seal up.  Seems to me you may have a cracked nut, stripped drain or never really got it tight to begin with or it would not loosen up as there are no moving parts and the movement from cold and hot wouldn't be enough to get it done
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Assuming the paper gasket was installed prior to the nut being secured, I imagine the looseness developed as the plumbers putty continued to be squeezed under pressure. I normally retighten those type of connections several times over a period of time prior to putting them into service.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
Thanks, stainless steel. new basket drain. it is the side we rinse dishes. wondered about the hot/cold.
(11-21-2016, 03:04 PM)Bob10 Wrote:   Seems to me you may have a cracked nut, 

I've seen that more than once.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15