kitchen sink drain
I had a situation once where the baskets provided with the stainless steel sink were so badly out of tolerance, the nuts would jump threads and never get tight. A run down to the local hardware store for new baskets solved that problem.

I would suggest replacing the offending drain assembly and see if it helps. They are cheap and will definitely eliminate the drain assembly as the source of the potential problem.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
(11-21-2016, 12:51 PM)MikeBob Wrote: Not for porcelain??

Regular plumbers putty will stain porcelain sinks. Basically you will forever be scrubbing the residue off right around the drain. Loml had to have that big farm sink from ikea.... nice sink but I told her never ever another porcelain sink. It's perpetually nasty dirty and a pain to clean.
Porcelain should be impervious to the oils in plumbers putty. Ditto vitreous china. Composite sinks and natural stone, however, are not. I've always used putty on porcelain sinks. Its basically glass.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
(11-22-2016, 06:07 PM)Mr_Mike Wrote: Porcelain should be impervious to the oils in plumbers putty.  Ditto vitreous china.  Composite sinks and natural stone, however, are not.  I've always used putty on porcelain sinks. Its basically glass.

It doesn't soak in it is constantly oozing out in a thin film from right around the basket. Leaves a residue that attracts dirt. There iis a putty for ceramic/porcelain that won't do it.
OK, all went good for a couple of weeks. now leaking again. tightened bottom nut, still leaks.
"There are no great men. Just great challenges which ordinary men,out of necessity, are forced by circumstance to meet."
Admiral William Frederick "Bull" Halsey Jr.

tight should I initially tighten? by hand or tighter?
"There are no great men. Just great challenges which ordinary men,out of necessity, are forced by circumstance to meet."
Admiral William Frederick "Bull" Halsey Jr.

Don't get insulted, but I have to ask - is the putty on the top of the sink/underside of the basket flange?
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
not meant as a slam but I don't know how tight your hand can manage.  You putty up the the top and tighten until almost all the putty has pushed out leaving a thin gasket and to the point you start to wonder if you are going to break the nut.  You don't want any wiggle room as it can result in the putty failing to seal more so if there is a disposal attached any place causing vibration
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.