Electrical Multimeter Question
I bought a Transformer that is supposed to take 120AC and convert it to to 11.6 V output.

My multimeter a Gardner Bender Digital Multimeter DGT-311 reads the output at 3 volts.

The transformer has the following statement/warning.

High Frequency output is only readable with a true RMS meter, with sufficient range capability.

My meter is a $30 dollar unit so I'm assuming it is not RMS.

Would I get no reading, or is the 3 volts a sign that my meter won't read the output, or that the transformer is defective and isn't putting out 11.6.

The light that this is supposed to light up does not work.
Have you checked the light? Is it a simple bulb or something different? Simple bulb should be easy to check for open or show resistance

What frequency is this machine supposed to output?  Unless there is some other magic involved, a transformer only passes through the same frequency as entering. What does your meter read on a standard plug in?
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

sure sounds like the transformer is nfg
south vietnam war collage
Are you sure it's a transformer, and not a switching power supply, like the typical wall wart (DC output)?
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Is the battery in the multimeter fresh? I've seen some of those low price meters give low voltage readings on older batteries.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
Wow, lots of questions so here are some more details.

1. I have tried several bulbs and all bulbs work in the other two fixtures, so I'm not leaning towards a bad bulb.
2. I'm assuming it is a transformer since it says transformer on the unit,
3. Input is AC120V and the output is supposed to be AC 12V
4. Battery is brand new, replaced it before I did anything.
5. Socket for the bulb I'm assuming is good because the transformer reads 3 volts, and I can also read 3 volts at the socket.
6. Reads 120V at the input to the transformer.
7. The warning/statement is from the box with the transformer. it is WAC Lighting part number EN-1275-R-AR

Really weird, but I possibly got a bad transformer.

Any thoughts?
"High Frequency," is not a term used in measuring DC voltage. Frequency is a measurement of AC waveforms measuring in hertz, I.e., 120 volts at 60 hertz. In other words, don't worry about it and read the meter for DC voltage on the proper scale. Something wrong with the transformer seems very likely.
He's not trying to, nor should he have any DC voltage.  I suspect the transformer is nfg.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

My mistake by assuming. What runs on 11.6v AC?