enclosure for portable generator
You didn't mention the generators physical size, whether it will be under a roof like a patio or in the open and what type of direct weather it will be exposed to and how you move it? What type of decor you looking for?

Guessing; You could just use plastic laminate or hardie board for a top to keep it dry and a metal frame- perhaps black pipe w/fittings. The laminate could travel down the sides as far as you see fit to keep blowing rain and snow off.  Example;  Pipe table

You could use 1" pvc.

I mention metal or pvc- both will last much longer.

If you use wood and don't want a big expense, then cut cedar fencing 2x4's down to 2x3's or the like for the frame and top, then top it with metal, tile, laminate.
The generator will be outside, unprotected. I'm going to go the cedar route and then tile the top for use as a table. The front will open, ala a garage door, and I'll roll out the genny for use when needed, which has only happened twice in the 6 years I've had it. (Well, I probably just jinxed it!) Thanks everyone for you input.

Mikey
I get that you are not running it inside the box, still vent it, the gas in the tank is a bomb if overheated (Summer temps, and SUN). I wasn't sure if you were getting that, if so, sorry.......
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
No worries, Steve. Appreciate all your suggestions. 

Mikey
I have the same issue and appreciate the posts. Thank you all.
[Image: generator%20cover%20001_zpsy6dzzorn.jpg]

Here is one I built for my 10,000 watt generator. I used some metal cover I had from when my metal roof was installed.The side toward the house is open,I have two handles on each side so can just slide it back.You can see the plug on the house,the wire runs to a generator panel in the basement.I have selected circuits for the panel and just requires switching over when the power goes out,this cuts out the main panel.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Hi Mel

Just wanted to say I spent some time on Fripp Island in 1979 working on a movie. I hope it's still as beautiful today as it was then. (The Island, not the movie!)

Best
Mikey
Sorry, Mel

That last post about Fripp Island was meant for Bill
(11-29-2016, 09:58 PM)mikey2222 Wrote: Sorry, Mel

That last post about Fripp Island was meant for Bill

No problem Mikey, just had me doing a search for Fripp Island N.S. and couldn't find it. Many times I have pushed the wrong button as well. All the best.
Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Fripp Island, South Carolina, Mel.

Cheers
Mike