Hidden storage build
Looking for ideas on how to build a hidden storage area.  Currently remodeling an older home and getting ready to tackle a bedroom which will ultimately become a walk in closet of sorts.  I have an area approximately 6 - 7 x 2-3  feet  that I can allot for it.  I want to have an access door which I can disguise somehow.  I know this is kinda shooting from the hip but any ideas would be appreciated.
Mike

"Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
there are kits to make doors look like bookcases....or you can roll your own bookcase door.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

Check your pms
jim
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
The bookcase model has been done to death but I have several dressers that fit partially into the wall. Got one in my master bath right now. Make it narrower than the opening enough so it can swing out and nobody will ever suspect it is a door. The key is to make it the size of a dresser and not as big as a door. Sure you have to scrunch down to get in the room, but I assume hiding the location and entrance is more important than making a big object that looks like a door.

If this photo works here is one in my master bath (knobs were not put on it yet). This one is 16" deep and comes out easily. This is not attached to a room but a secret (well, not any more) storage area:

[Image: P6200022.jpg]
A door is not a door when it is a fake fireplace.
You can get "Car Siding" at any of the BORGS, might be special order at the one near you. Where I am it's standard fare, and all of them have at least one width. Folks use it to make a half wall, and usually cap it with some type of chair rail, or similar. I used to do these all the time for people, and in more than one case it became the camouflaged door for a small storage space. It requires ducking, or maybe crawling into it depending on how tall you make the half wall. The car siding is just tongue and grooved material of SPF, and it's easy to leave a section hinged from inside, and using a magnetic catch at top and bottom, also on the inside you don't see hardware, but a firm push on the panel, and the wall suddenly opens. Further camouflage it by putting a smallish piece of furniture like a small table in front of it, and folks veer out of the way of it so they don't hit the table. The lines in the siding allow the cracks to be invisible, as it's a wall entirely made of cracks. Make the top just under the chair rail, and looking directly at the wall it's invisible, kneeling and looking up it's hard to see if you cut it well.

Thing to remember is drawers are rifled through, cabinets that are obvious are opened, but at the end of the day people breaking in looking for goodies don't like to stay for a long time. Averages I have heard from LEO's are 2 to 5 minutes max. If they walk into that room, they won't spend the time to find it.

[Image: 51loHVPrdZL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg]

cracks disappear more if the cracks are near the same color as the wall.

[Image: reclaimed_oak_paneling_8.jpg]
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW