rotary hammer/hammer drill, or??
Can anyone tell me what I should be shopping for?
While not actually woodworking, it is a power tool.
I have need to drill several holes in a concrete sidewalk, and also a need to remove ceramic tiles and cement board from a floor.
Will one tool do both? or am I shopping for 2 different tools here?

Thanks
personally, i'd be checking out rotary hammers with one of the modes being "hammer only".

wow, mixed reviews, but heckuva price:

https://www.amazon.com/Hiltex-10513-Rota...ary+hammer
think bosch bulldog 17 years with one never never failed me
south vietnam war collage
I never heard of that brand but what I can see what you get for the price it is a smoking good deal.
Smile
(11-23-2016, 01:50 PM)bgosh Wrote: I never heard of that brand but what I can see what you get for the price it is a smoking good deal.
Smile

seriously, that's tempting and i don't even need one.  but . . . i don't HAVE one!  
Laugh
Here is a you tube of that drill.  It really looks like a lot for the money

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLtTPTBCUL0
(11-23-2016, 12:32 PM)rlnguy Wrote: Can anyone tell me what I should be shopping for?
While not actually woodworking, it is a power tool.
I have need to drill several holes in a concrete sidewalk, and also a need to remove ceramic tiles and cement board from a floor.
Will one tool do both? or am I shopping for 2 different tools here?

Thanks

One tool can do both jobs if you choose carefully.

Note that some of these tools can perform in modes which are not "selectable", but are affected by the accessories you use.  For example, I have a Hilti TE76 which does not have a "Drill Only" mode, but with the use of a special drill bit arbor (has an extra groove machined into it) the drill will operate in a "Drill Only" mode while the selector is set to "Hammer Drill".  Makes for an awesome drill motor for running ship's augur bits through railroad ties.

I would think your biggest concern is to first figure out if you can get by with an SDS drill or if you need an SDS Max.  If the holes you need to drill are 1/2" or less in diameter then an SDS would be fine, but if 1" or larger than an SDS Max is required.  Between 1/2" and 1" it is probably going to be a question of how many holes and what grade of drill.

As to the scraping of the floor you are probably going to want an SDS Max.  You can take a look at the size of the scraper made for an SDS drill and compare that to the SDS Max scraper and then consider how may square feet you are facing.    Perhaps if it is just an entry hall or a fireplace hearth you might be okay with saving your money and taking a bit longer, but if it is an entire kitchen or living room then the SDS Max is going to save you many hours of physical abuse.

And on the subject of physical abuse, when it comes to busting up tile with a hammer you might as well figure you are busting up panes of glass.  Wear a good full face shield and some heavy full sleeves.
I would second your assessment but add that the OP may be better served by buying small and rent the larger for a one time use.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

My Milwaukee sds came with a quick change nosepiece so it's either sds or a regular drill chuck.

Other companies offer it also.

IIRC, it's an 1 1/8" size, has hammer only mode.

Ed
(11-23-2016, 11:15 PM)blackhat Wrote: I would second your assessment but add that the OP may be better served by buying small and rent the larger for a one time use.

^^^this makes more sense to me, then if you like what you rent you can go buy one.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.