rotary hammer/hammer drill, or??
How large of holes do you need to drill? Is this s one time thing?
For small holes a simple hammer drill will work fine. I have a Hatachi 1/2 inch I bought on sale st Menards for about $60. A very good corded drill in my opinion

I used a simple air chisel to remove tile. Noisy yes, but worked fine

Just some options

Jeez guys don't be reading so much into this all he wants to do is drill a few holes and remove some tile & etc.to make the job easy and for 71 bucks not that bad.Yes he can probably rent one cheaper but then he wouldn't have a tool that is also has 1/2 drill capacity either. You young whipper snappers don't know what it was like before these tools came along and all you had was an elect drill to use,I remember on a church job when a young guy came along to install the pews he had a big box of new bits and his drill motor actually had a seat on the drill motor so he could sit on it to help pushing on the bit.If I remember right the first one I seen was made by skill.The plumber on the job brought it and I swear between us the GC, electrician and him the plumber almost wore that thing out as it worked so good.As far as I am concerned that is the best tool ever invented and anyone who used a regular drill for drilling conc. and any masonry will agree.
I have a 20 year Dewalt 1/2" drill/hammer drill I have used for many hours without fail. This type would serve you if you will need a 1/2" drill from time to time. You must use the torque handle or it will take your arm off.

Perhaps a regular 3/8" drill would work fine if your not drilling more that a few 1/4" or so holes- use water to cool the masonry bit.
(11-23-2016, 11:15 PM)blackhat Wrote: I would second your assessment but add that the OP may be better served by buying small and rent the larger for a one time use.

Right after I read the OP's wish list I thought this, then Arthropod posted that ridiculously priced drill, which I believe HF has one similar, might be about as cheap. Not sure of return/replace on the one posted. Absolutely sure at HF you have 30 days to try to kill it, if you don't succeed you are the big drill Daddy to all your friends, and relatives.

HF 1 1/4" drill a bit more $$$ but it has an SDS Plus chuck, which will take the largest offering of bits out there. Only SDS Max bits won't fit. The SDS was Bosch's chuck, Plus adds improvements and speed of change out, it will take SDS, or SDS plus bits. SDS Max is newer, and is pretty proprietary. If the other place offered a try it, you no like return policy, it is cheaper.  Otherwise I'd spend a few more $$$ for the option to return in 30 days, and the better chuck.
Big Grin

If any of these don't work, you want a Hilti drill, which is what you will find at the rental place
Wink
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
HF warranty is typically 90 days.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

The harborfreight 1 1/8 one linked above is actually a pretty good tool. I used one to remove marble tile from an entire house. I started with a makita and it just overheated and leaked it's grease out after a few minutes. The hf one could run non stop for hours and not flinch and had much more power. 

In fact the commercial tile guys here have switched from bosch to them because the bosch ones spend more time in the shop than in the field. And if you get the hf warranty they will replace it if it fails and there are allot more harborfreights around than a tool repair.
I've been away for a few days, so I have much good information here to take in.
Thanks to all,