Thanks John Austin
Ordered one of John's square bar detailers to do some offset slicing on a few spheres I've been making. Was using a SB vortex tool on these but the point of the tool takes a real beating so wanted to try one of John's tools. Gave a nice clean crisp cut and worked very well for the application and was easy on the pocketbook. Here's a couple pics from today on cherry & oak.

[Image: Cherry%201_zps52wzhthm.jpg]

[Image: Cherry%202_zpsbqqd79lu.jpg]

[Image: Oak%202_zpsqcmy5j9n.jpg]
Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA
Well done buddy.  I would like to see your tool handles if you made them too
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Arlin,

I didn't make a handle for it. Even though the tool is square, it fits nicely into one of my D-Way handles and tightens down with the 2 set screws.

DD
David,
 Glad you like the tool.

The spears look cool, 2nd picture made me think of Xbox
(11-24-2016, 01:01 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Well done buddy.  I would like to see your tool handles if you made them too

Arlin,
here is a picture of one of the handles I made for the tools that I use.
[Image: 20160521_202704_zpsfpu06jfs.jpg]
I've been using only HSS tools for years.  Being a segmenter I work with a variety of exotics I also have to deal with all those glue lines that can dull a cutting edge in no time flat.  I got one of Johns finishers with round cutter today, put in a Thompson handle and went to work. I have to say, I'm sold. That carbide went through bloodwood, yellowheart and all the glue lines like butter. I would get maybe two passes out of my HSS cutters before sharpening. He'll have a lot more business coming from me.
John

What part did you make and which did you buy?

I have talked to David at D-Way tools and I am very confused on which handles go with which tools.  Or even when his inserts go to what.  He gave me a few of his links and I still can not make heads or tails of it.

All I would like is this tool goes to that handle and or buy this insert and it will fit most of the handles and tools.  All I would like is just 2 maybe 3 handles and that is it.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Arlin,

From what I see, D-Way's smallest socket size is 1/2" and he has adapters from 1/2" to 3/8". The tang on my square bar diamond detailer is .354 so it would fit into D-Way's adapter. I don't see any of John's tools that have more that 1/2" stock and most of them have a 3/8" tang. I'd believe, you decide what length D-Way handle you want, get the 3/8" adapter for the 1/2" socket and you would be set to use any/all of John's tools.

I don't have an adapter but the square stock fit nicely into 1/2" x 12" handle and the screws tighten down on the flat part of the bar. Doesn't stick out very far from the handle but for my application it doesn't matter. With all that said, these aren't big tools so making your own handles with a 3/8" hole, 2" deep isn't that big a deal.
[Image: dd%20tool%201_zpsessjzard.jpg]
Arlin,
 Shot a quick video for you maybe this will help.
Arlin, I'm not trying to talk you out of the modular handles. In fact I have them and enjoy them but changing the tools just seemed like a waste of time to me so now I buy a handle every time I need one. With that said, you might consider Hosaluk or oneway handles. They have a 1/2" hole on one end and a 5/8 on the other and they sell the adapter to reduce the 1/2" to 3/8". Just something to consider.