Keyhole routing
Steve:

Using the jig I linked to I cut keyhole slots with just one pass. The workpiece and jig are clamped together. The jig captures the router preventing any untoward movement.

Another option among many.

Bill
Well, my existing keyhole bit had odd dimensions (very little difference between the straight cut and the keyhole slot), so I didn't use that. I instead stopped by Home Depot on my bike ride, and picked up a Freud keyhole bit there. The dimensions were good, but it's 1/4" shank, and I didn't feel like changing collets, so I just ended up drilling and chiseling and using a metal keyhole plate. It looks nice enough, especially considering it's facing the wall and as it's going on a vaulted ceiling I don't plan on taking it down anytime soon.

Oh well. Next time I'm trying the jig. I ordered a 1/2" shank Whiteside keyhole bit on Amazon so I can try routing in some scrap and see how well it works.
Scrap is good. I understand trying something new on an almost finished project, makes ya kinda wiggly inside
Big Grin

So is the cross up, and looking good? If it is, the timing couldn't be better.
Big Grin

Merry Christmas.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
http://www.flint7.com/Furniture/cross_bubinga.jpg
http://www.flint7.com/Furniture/crib.jpg

To you and yours as well. The pictures don't really do them justice, especially the crib. The colors and satin sheen are much more vivid in person. My wife got a good picture in the morning light a few days ago and that's been the best. Today I used the flash and it washes out a bit.

But yes, perfect timing.
I build simple jigs for my router to run in for I use keyholes on a lot of my shelves.  Just make a center line for where you want the key hole to be. Make sure you measurements are the same if doing 2 or more in a row. Thus the jigs work for me. good luck. 

[Image: IMGP0553.jpg]

[Image: IMGP0552.jpg]

[Image: IMGP0550.jpg]

[Image: IMGP0554.jpg]
John T.
(11-26-2016, 12:53 PM)FS7 Wrote: [Image: cross_bubinga.jpg]
[Image: crib.jpg]

To you and yours as well. The pictures don't really do them justice, especially the crib. The colors and satin sheen are much more vivid in person. My wife got a good picture in the morning light a few days ago and that's been the best. Today I used the flash and it washes out a bit.

But yes, perfect timing.

Sweet. love the cross, and the crib. Mostly glad you got a workable resolution.

GW
I have that bit too.  I used it once.  I had a hard time controlling the direction.  So I would set up some sort of guide.  

Mostly I just use keyhole hardware:  http://www.rockler.com/keyhole-fittings-...DQodIBsNCQ

With a Forstner bit  and a chisel it can easily be mortised flush.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(11-28-2016, 11:31 AM)Cooler Wrote: I have that bit too.  I used it once.  I had a hard time controlling the direction.  So I would set up some sort of guide.  

Mostly I just use keyhole hardware:  http://www.rockler.com/keyhole-fittings-...DQodIBsNCQ

With a Forstner bit  and a chisel it can easily be mortised flush.

That's exactly what I used, with the holes tapped for stainless machine screws. I used #8 (guessing) but next time I'll use #6 since the #8 stick out way too much. It looks very clean with the Forstner bits on the edge and the size is such that point-to-point on the sides is perfect for a 1" chisel.

All wood would be nice. I'll see if I can get it to work with the bit. Looks like I should temper my expectations though.
FS7 wrote "Looks like I should temper my expectations though."

I wouldn't temper my expectations. With a jig to control the movement of the router you should get accurate and clean keyholes.

Bill
Yep
Yes

GW