Scrapers and End Grain Boxes
I'm making turned boxes for Christmas presents.  In more than one video I've watched, the presenter takes a round nosed scraper to the box to help hollow out the box.  I don't see anything special, except for setting the tool rest high enough that you have to slightly lift up the handle to get the scraper end level with the center of the box.  I've no issues scraping the bottom of the box, but when I try to scrape the side, I get catches.  I have a basic round nose scraper (shaped more like a dinner knife).  The grind is about 70 deg.  I am trying to keep the contact point right at the center line of the box.  Right now, I'm working with pau ferro, but I also get catches with other hardwoods.

Is there a trick to scraping without getting catches?
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Do the side, or the bottom. You get a catch when your tool touches both at the same time.
I don't know how they do it, but some people can really turn out the inside of end grain boxes with their gouges. I use the Kelton hollowing tools, which are maybe 1/4 inch across scrapers. I do like a hole in the center down pretty much to final depth. For a finish cut, I roll them over a bit for a shear scrape. You have to be careful with the dead center. If you cross over to the wrong side away from you, it lifts up, and then slams down on the right side. I always roll it to a 45 degree angle or so for that center cut, never flat. If you leave a cone in the center because it is more difficult to cut out, you really have to be careful of it, and I take it down as I go now. I learned the hard way, more than once, that if your scraper hits that cone, even if you are pulling towards the outside, the cone drags the scraper under and around to the wrong side...... I do line a NRS (negative rake scraper) for finish cuts. I have also found it easier to leave a slightly concave bottom and radius corners for the inside of the box rather than a square corner. Easier to cut clean and to sand...

robo hippy