Shellac Seal Coat
Has anyone else had trouble lately finding Zinsser's Seal Coat (dewaxed shellac) in local stores? I spent quite a bit of time and gas today going to my usual big box stores and hardware stores, the usual places I've purchased it in the past, and they only have the "Traditional Finish and Sealer" which is not dewaxed. Except, I just discovered that the spray can of the "Traditional" is dewaxed. The label looks identical until you read the application instructions. You can still order it from places like Amazon (very high price). Wow. Are things getting screwed up?

Has anyone tried using thinned lacquer as a wash coat as we normally do with shellac?
At my big box I went to the area they always had it in the paint dept, it was kept near the waxed Zinssar Shellac, it was not there, nor a spot for it. Found out they moved the Seal coat to a different area in the paint dept. A Menards Store.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

Hmmm. I'll have to check again. Neither Home Depot nor Lowes had it with the "Traditional". Lowes doesn't even list it on-line. And, the "Traditionsl" they refer to as a water based product. Home Depot lists it on-line only in large quantities. Where did Menards put it?
Thanks
My local HD carries it in 1 gal cans, and you can order it on-line for free in store pick up as well; including 5 gal pails.  The 5 gal price is really good, and the 1 gal price is far lower than buying two lbs of shellac flakes and a gallon of alcohol.   

John
They moved it to the other end of the isle by one of the stain companies stuff.
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

I get it at either Ace or a local paint store.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

Rockler has it for $16 /qt.
Sometimes you get free shipping too.
Menards and a local TruValue dealer both have the Seal Coat local to me. Home Depot, Menards, Ace and TruValue have the spray as well as the blonde and orange.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
I order mine from Home Depot. They don't carry it in my local store but it is $75 for 2 gallons with free shipping online. I have also ordered 5 gallons buckets which is $185 but the gallon cans are easier to handle and basically the same price. If you cant find it with a search I can dig up the product number I order.
Wow 2 gallons and 5. Just remember pre mixed Shellac starts to go bad after about 14 months tops depending on how it is stored, sooner if not at optimal conditions.
Smirk