Piston F-Clamps
Has anyone used those new (at least to me) piston f-clamps Rockler is selling? It looks like they're selling them under both their name and the the name of who I assume is their creator. I'm wondering if they work any better than the Besseys I've used for years.

Rockler Piston Clamp

Piher Piston Clamp
Jason

Haven't used either of those and doubt I will when they cost that much.  I recently bought some of these from Grizzly.  They work just fine, and the price -holy smokes - is even lower than when I bought them a few weeks ago at what I thought was a great price.  Like most "traditional" F-style clamps, the screw end has a pad that allows the screw to rotate without it shifting on the workpiece.  And "more force"?  Really?  The stiffness of the bar is what limits the force any of these clamps can apply.  

John   [url=http://www.grizzly.com/search?q=(heavy+AND+duty+AND+f+AND+style+AND+clamp)+OR+(heavy+OR+duty+OR+f+OR+style+OR+clamp)][/url]
Fwiw I have had really good luck that the Harbor Freight f clamps

The piston clamps may be a necessity for someone with a physical strength issue. A standard F clamp is pretty easy to work for most folks, and also can get plenty tight enough with light effort to get pieces close enough for the glue to work. Rockler is casting it's line out much like those red "one time" tools do. Looking for sports with Mucho Dinero $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(11-26-2016, 07:50 AM)goaliedad Wrote: Fwiw I have had really good luck that the Harbor Freight f clamps

Best to pick out in store to find ones with good alignment, etc.

After having about 25 of the 6" ones in the KCWG shop for about 5 years, I think maybe 1/2 are still working.  Most common failure was the handle coming off (add epoxy). The most common reason for clamp-death is the fine threads strip out of the casting.  Bessy brand are more heavy duty (seen people break these too) but are also much more expensive.

I'm always amazed at the ways people find to break stuff in a shared shop space. Some fess up, others sneak away.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
(11-26-2016, 11:53 AM)Rob Young Wrote: Some fess up, others sneak away.

Pretty good summation of humanity in general.

I always squeal on myself, couldn't sleep if I didn't
Big Grin

GW
(11-26-2016, 07:50 AM)goaliedad Wrote: Fwiw I have had really good luck that the Harbor Freight f clamps

And for that statement you will be condemned to eternal damnation by the purists on the site!! 

No, I love the HF "F" clamps.  Cheap, work very well for a hobby shop.  I have a bunch of the 6" and will get more of the 12" clamps soon.  How can you go wrong, $3.88 x 0.8 = $3.20 PLUS A FREE FLASHLIGHT!!!
Must be they have improved the HF F-clamps since the 12 or 18" ones I bought 6 or 7 years ago.  The bars bend just looking at them.  Not even close to the same level of performance as Jorgy Pony clamps.  Anyone who wants the 6 I have can have them for free.  Come and get 'em and they are yours.  

John
I have tried a few of the HF clamps, and so far they made some parallel head units for a short while, and used with other of the same design they rock. They don't play well with other types/makes though. Doesn't matter, as they haven't been available for some time. I agree on the F clamps the bars bow a lot
Yes

GW
HF clamps bow a lot??  What??  Why???  I use fine woodworking skills to insure that only minimal force is needed on my glue ups.  Everything straight and parallel.  Slip fit, no gaps, tight shoulders.  And if there are assembly issues, I break out the 3/4" pipe clamps and a dead blow.  
Big Grin

Now I really use the 6" ones a lot, the 12" and 18" not as much.  But for the price, they work very well.  I don't think one should compare a $3 clamp vs one that costs 2-3 times as much.