Sindelar Tool Collection /Museum
After my fall in September stuck me in the wheelchair or recliner for most of my waking hours, I have been unable to get into my woodshop. Going thru withdrawls, I have fed the need by working thru stacks and boxes of various ww mags. It's not woodworking, but it beats daytime tv.

Last night I came across a long article about a great tool collector. They said he wanted to share his collection, and planned to open a museum. The article was from 2010. If you google "Sindelar Tool Museum" the Ivory Plow Plane that pops up on the home page is enough to tweek your interest. Anyone else heard of him? I didn't see much else listed.

http://www.sindelartoolmuseum.com
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
If I'm not mistaken Sindelar broke up that collection a few years ago.  It was displayed at WIA a couple of times, but he apparently had a need to liquidate it.  The collection was mounted in a walk-thru trailer and consisted of really rare hand tools.  There is probably some info if you Google the name.
Maybe, it's a web museum? There is a variety artifacts on several pages. I liked the ancient page.

Thanks for the link.
(11-25-2016, 06:39 PM)BrokenOlMarine Wrote: After my fall in September stuck me in the wheelchair or recliner for most of my waking hours, I have been unable to get into my woodshop. Going thru withdrawls, I have fed the need by working thru stacks and boxes of various ww mags. It's not woodworking, but it beats daytime tv.

Last night I came across a long article about a great tool collector.  They said he wanted to share his collection, and planned to open a museum.  The article was from 2010.  If you google "Sindelar Tool Museum" the Ivory Plow Plane that pops up on the home page is enough to tweek your interest.  Anyone else heard of him?  I didn't see much else listed.

http://www.sindelartoolmuseum.com
I have been to a couple of tool meets where he was buying some of the more unusual and really rare tools like Panther head saws , Davis levels, etc...They had to be in top condition...his collection has been pictured in a couple magazines that I remember.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Thanks for the input. The article I saw was old, and suggested a museum might be in the works in colonial williamsburg or philly. One of the pics had him holding a half dozen wooden fore planes with elaborate carving on the bodies. I would love to have seen some of the pictured items in person.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
This is what led me to believe that the museum might be no-more:
http://www.popularwoodworking.com/tools/...packing-up
I had the opportunity to go thru the main collection in SW Michigan twice, about two years apart when he held MWTCA meets at his place of business.
Rooms and rooms stuffed full of amazing tools. Shame I can't upload pictures here.
Everything from miniatures, he had a complete miniature woodshop - down to mini toolboxes and tools; to a ROOM full of plow planes! Books, a Wooton patent desk, an elephant howdah, medical tools, you name it.

Not sure what happened, most likely the downturn in the economy did in his business, the collection probably followed.

Mike
Semper Audere!
I've seen the walk-thru trailer when displayed at WIA a few years back.  It was interesting, but I didn't really salivate over the contents.  Sounds like he was a collector to beat all collectors.  But, I don't understand the motivation to collect and just pile a bunch of it in a room that people rarely see.  Apparently, his desire to collect overcame his investment sense.  Too bad.  He had a lot of rare and interesting tools.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill