Segmented Turning Resources?
Ordered the new PM3520B (what an upgrade this will be!) and decided to finally try and do some segmented turning as soon as it arrives - a new one for me. Any suggested books/articles/etc. on how to get started with this kind of turning?

Thanks,
John
The books by Malcolm Tibbetts and Ray Allen. You can also look at the Segmented Woodturnes chapter of the AAW or personal websites like Kevin Neelley.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
John

Send me your email address and I have a ton of info to send you

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Malcolm's DVD's are worth the money and cover all skill levels. Kurt Theobald also has DVD's but I would get Malcolms first. The ray Allen book is also worth the money, I think it's better than Malcolm's book. I was a member of the AAW segmenting chapter but not anymore, nuff said about that. If I can be any help just let me know.
Wood Turning

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
John my 3520 will be here on Tuesday. It's going to be a huge upgrade over my Jet Mini.

Has anyone tried the Segmented Project Planner program from the link above? Also that link has plenty of info to get started.
Don
Pay attention to any advise given by Angus. His segmented turnings are outstanding.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
(12-03-2016, 08:11 AM)woodhead Wrote: Wood Turning

Al

(12-03-2016, 08:51 AM)DFJarvie Wrote: John my 3520 will be here on Tuesday. It's going to be a huge upgrade over my Jet Mini.

Has anyone tried the Segmented Project Planner program from the link above? Also that link has plenty of info to get started.

There are currently 2 segmented computer programs on the market. woodturnerpro and segmented project planner.  I have no experience with either one but considering features I would lean towards woodturner pro. But, you do not need a program. In Malcolms beginner dvd and his book he covers how to do all the math needed. I do use a program but it's no longer available. It's personal preference, I would rather spend time building stuff than holding a calculator.
Thanks for all the replies. Picked up a few books, going to get the videos, and am doing some reading. It looks daunting, but I have a lot of scrap to learn with. Will post pics once this begins - always good to get the feedback and learn where the mistakes were made.
(11-27-2016, 12:16 AM)Angus Wrote: Malcolm's DVD's are worth the money and cover all skill levels. Kurt Theobald also has DVD's but I would get Malcolms first. The ray Allen book is also worth the money, I think it's better than Malcolm's book. I was a member of the AAW segmenting chapter but not anymore, nuff said about that. If I can be any help just let me know.

Not to hijack the OP's thread ... but are Malcolm's videos available anywhere else than his website?  In today's electronic age, $37 is a little steep for a single video ... I think I may have to get a second job to by the set.  I bought the book for my wife who got into turning, but wanted to get the video(s) as well.