Segmented Turning Resources?
Yeah they are pricey but you have to remember its not the cost of the DVD you are paying for it's his knowledge etc  - you say $37 is pricey but he doesn't exactly have the volume to put it in line with movie dvd's.  He told me he limits to DVD's to try to cut down on piracy  

Most Woodturning DVD's are in that price range - $30 to $40 - Jimmy Clewes etc...  

Occasionally you can find them used on eBay or on turning forums.  Just have to be patient
Thanks for the input.  I think I'll let her choose 1 or 2 out of the list after she gets the book.
(12-05-2016, 12:05 PM)Wipedout Wrote: Yeah they are pricey but you have to remember its not the cost of the DVD you are paying for it's his knowledge etc  - you say $37 is pricey but he doesn't exactly have the volume to put it in line with movie dvd's.  He told me he limits to DVD's to try to cut down on piracy  

Most Woodturning DVD's are in that price range - $30 to $40 - Jimmy Clewes etc...  

Occasionally you can find them used on eBay or on turning forums.  Just have to be patient

^^^^^^^^^^

What he said and is 100% correct.

Now I did get the program that Angus talked about "segmented project planner"  and it is allows a lot of tinkering and allows and shows how to build and I have not figured it all out.  The owner did give it to Us for a great price tho but like I shown you about Jerry Bennett is the way to go for cutting and putting them together
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Arlin, have you created a bowl using the program? I'm tempted to buy it since it will lay out the rings quickly.
Don
Both of the programs do the same thing. They give you segment dimensions for each ring. The difference is how easy is it to draw the shape you want and the doodads it will do. One of them will apply the golden mean, thats a fancy way of saying it will tell you where to place the feature ring by using ancient magic math. Based on my experience I would look for the following

1) Can you set preferences? wall thickness, overlap, etc.
2) Will it do open segment designs? If so can you change gap angles or does it use the standard numbers only?
3) Does it have a bezier tool? Used to obtain a fare curve.
4) Can you design single segments? ie feature ring segments. This is not a deal breaker, graph paper and colored pencils are my preferred method.
5)Can you color individual segments somewhere in the design phase? The early version of segmented project planner would not allow this. If you changed the color of one segment the segment 180 degrees from it changed also. This can be a real problem designing a piece
6) Can you twist and rotate a completed design to get the full view? HINT.......in most all cases a good form will look as good upside down as it does right side up'
7) Does it give you segment dimensions in fractional measurements? my program does not and I have to convert every measurement.
8) Can you preview segment dimensions without printing?
9) Overall how easy is the program to use? THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT ONE. If it's a PITA you won't enjoy it and won't use it. 

I use woodturners studio. I don't think you can get it anymore. I've considered going to woodturner pro but I'm reluctant to change at this point. Jerry Bennet made my program and I won't bash anyones products but I would be real hesitant to do any open segment work with the segeasy setup.

My apologies for the long post. I'm just trying to save you guys some of the heartache, wasted time and money I've gone through.
(12-05-2016, 12:34 PM)cams2705 Wrote: Thanks for the input.  I think I'll let her choose 1 or 2 out of the list after she gets the book.

Cams, if I were going to get Malcoms dvd's I would only get the first two. The others are geared towards a very small niche group. They are very advanced and will probably require a full shop of tools. Even at my low level of segmenting the tools are almost equivalent to a full blown cabinet shop. With that said theirs always a work around for tooling. But, boy some tools make the life of the segmenter a lot easier and more enjoyable.
Segmenting isn't that hard but a drum sander saves a lot of work. I use sheets of 100 grit glued to MDF to get the rings flat. It works but running them through a drum sander would save a lot of time. A table saw is really all you need if you buy planed and jointed stock.
Don
(12-05-2016, 07:15 PM)DFJarvie Wrote: Arlin, have you created a bowl using the program? I'm tempted to buy it since it will lay out the rings quickly.

No I have not like I said I played with it but did not figure it all out yet and the biggest thing is cutting the rings correctly first or you waste all the time planning.

Also one other thing and you will never have to use the sander to get them right and that is Jerry Bennett's Wedgie Sled

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpFNE1CHsc4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Yl-qDN1HtI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw31oNcFI_Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-ZxTnnv0aY

Also I think the other one is much better it seems since it does things mine does not I think.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

(12-05-2016, 11:21 PM)DFJarvie Wrote: Segmenting isn't that hard but a drum sander saves a lot of work. I use sheets of 100 grit glued to MDF to get the rings flat. It works but running them through a drum sander would save a lot of time. A table saw is really all you need if you buy planed and jointed stock.

Don

I made a disc sander that fits my lathe from a 8" face plate and glued up white oak that came out to 1.5" thick and 15" round.  I got the sandpaper from Grizzly in different grits