Book of coffee tables?
Can anybody recommend a book that is dedicated to giving examples of coffee tables, or better yet, woodworking plans for coffee tables?  I see tons of woodworking books dedicated to plans for bookcases, or shelves, etc., but if I try to search for "book about coffee tables," I just get results for coffee table books (i.e. large display books about an interesting topic), and sort of sucked into a Seinfeldian "coffee table book about coffee tables" wormhole.

I'd appreciate any suggestions. My father-in-law mentioned wanting me to build him one, but when I asked him what style he had in mind, he just sort of gave me a blank stare.  I'd like to give him the chance to point to some concrete example, rather than just having to guess at what he wants and engage in unpleasant design processes.

Thanks!
You are entitled to your own opinions. Just not your own facts.
I'm a self taught armature woodworker so my answers are "unprofessional" at best. I worked myself from week-end warrior to Craftsman, but I have never sold anything I've made... enough about me!

How skilled are you? What kind of tools do you own? Are you skilled and tooled enough to build a dovetailed drawer (router jig or table saw skilled doesn't matter)? Are you skilled enough to build a simple carcass? A carcass can be built from plywood (or laminate) and still look great... Or a carcass can be built from solid wood so long as you understand the "wood movement" issues. 

I'm not trying to scare you away from attempting your build, but I know nothing but your desire to build an end table. My experience has taught me to steer away from detailed plans. Most plans are written by professional writers who have never stepped into a woodworking shop. Earlier in my woodworking journey, I built a beautiful outdoor bench for our porch. I decided to pick a published detailed step by step project... They forgot to instruct me to cut the back frame with a slant. When we used the bench, we were forced to sit at a 90* angle.

Give this group a bit more information as to your tools and skill level and I'm sure we can help you through this project. I've learned the hard way not to adopt pre-printed instructional plans. In your situation, I would google "end tables" and pick a design...

If this answer is not suitable, I can suggest a few books about general furniture building methods... These books are furniture building bibles.
It is never hot or cold in NH. It is always seasonal.
try handing him a few interior design magazines or use this search 

coffee tables are not really hard find something to base the table on then go looking for plans 

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Goggle "Coffee Table", then select Images.
You'll see lots and lots of choices.
I don't know of a book explicitly about CT's; seems like no author would limit themselves as it's basically a table with short legs.
Have your FIL show you where it will go. The space can go a long way to defining the shape (square, round or rectangular) and his other furniture probably guides the style.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
I think what you want is a book about furniture styles, a book showing examples of furniture styles.  After you have settled on a style, then you can narrow your search.  Prior to Google, there used to be places called libraries.  Though I personally have not been to one in years, this sounds like a perfect use of one.  Spend a Saturday morning thumbing through books on furniture to point you in a direction.  You can refine your ideas from there.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
You unlikely find anything in the way of books of plans specifically for coffee tables. Once you work out the style and design, it shouldn't be difficult to figure out the dimensions and then come up with a plan using joinery you already know. If you want some assistance with that part, drop me a PM.
I spent months searching for a plan for a lift top coffee table and could not find one I liked, so I copied an idea I liked and am in the process of designing and building my own. Depending upon what you are looking to build, the following sites have plans. http://www.woodstore.net/furniture.html and http://www.finewoodworking.com/woodworki.../all-plans
Thanks. My inquiry is less concerned with the joinery and even finding plans (although that would be a time-saver and ideal) than it is with finding a large collection of design ideas in one place for him to look at, rather than takiing the time to go through 25 years of 4 different woodworking magazines to find issues here or there where a coffee-table project is listed. I was hoping that someone had collected either plans or photos in one place; the Google images search might be my plan of all else fails.
You are entitled to your own opinions. Just not your own facts.
Taunton press has a book on table making, might want to check that out for construction methods.

http://www.tauntonstore.com/tables/table...70469.html
(11-27-2016, 12:12 AM)JGrout Wrote: try handing him a few interior design magazines or use this search 

coffee tables are not really hard find something to base the table on then go looking for plans 

Joe

That is what I have worked out with LOML, show me a pic of what you want, and I'll figure out how to build it. Plans are usually wrong somewhere anyhow. Laying out your own is half the fun
Big Grin
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW