sketchup windows 10 ?
Hi all,
 After quite a lull from woodworking I am trying to get back into it. I used to have a cad program to help with design, but that was several versions of window ago. I am looking at trying sketchup. Is there a free version for windows 10 that you can use? If so where would I find it? I am not the most computer savy person, so any help on where to go to down load it would be very appreciated.
                             thanks
                                    Jim
-- jbmaine
Thanks,
 I tried downloading this, but a virus threat came up, so I didn't continue.
                                                            Jim
-- jbmaine
Try it directly from SketchUp.
Never download SketchUp from anywhere but the SketchUp site itself. Use jteneyck's link. Make sure when it asks you how you'll be using it, you choose the correct option. For SketchUp Make, which is for personal, hobby use, choose Personal Projects.

Note that SketchUp 2017 is only available for 64-bit operating systems. It won't work on 32-bit machines. And your GPU needs to be up to snuff. It would be wise to run CheckUp first.

Also, make sure when you install SketchUp that you find the installer (probably in the Downloads folder) and right click on it. Then choose Run as administrator. Do not just double click on the installer or click on Run.
Thanks all,
  I got it downloaded. Now it's time to play around with it.
it

It wasn't all that long ago the word computer wasn't in a woodworker's vocabulary. now it's hard to think of not using them.

Thanks again,
                                    Jim
-- jbmaine
Have fun with it. If I can help, drop me a PM.

You're right about computers in the shop.
Smile

Cheers,

DaveR1
If you are learning from scratch, I would advise to use Fusion 360 instead.

It's free for "enthusiasts" and the free version is not encumbered with the restrictions on usage which the free version of SketchUp does.
chris
I wondered how long it would take you to chime in with that, Chris.
Rolleyes
I haven't found any restrictions in over 8 years of using SketchUp, except in my own abilities.    

John
(11-27-2016, 02:06 PM)ModSE Wrote: I wondered how long it would take you to chime in with that, Chris.
Rolleyes

I'm sorry, but I can't in good conscience recommend SketchUp to anyone who is just learning how to model. I used it for years and worked around the shortcomings because of the lack of other options. That's not the case anymore. My struggle now is to get my ill defined models into a state where I don't have to remodel the designs in another tool.

Combine this with the license restrictions Trimble has invoked on the free version, and SketchUp is a non-starter.

(11-27-2016, 03:08 PM)jteneyck Wrote: I haven't found any restrictions in over 8 years of using SketchUp, except in my own abilities.    

John

Not restrictions so much as weaknesses.  SketchUp can rapidly build some very pretty models that are almost worthless for anything other than looking at. I just got a 3D printer. I'm amazed at the number of tools out there to clean up stl files from SketchUp.  This is very telling about the quality of the models.

I'm a mechanical engineer and have been doing 3D CAD for over 25 years. SketchUp is just not a tool that I wish to try to manhandle into submission any longer and cannot recommend to someone who is just learning.  If you have got SketchUp mastered, then go for it.  Otherwise your time is better spent elsewhere.

Seriously, for the price (free) Fusion 360 is the deal of the century.
chris