sketchup windows 10 ?
Didn't we go down this road a couple of months ago?  It seems the problems you have with SketchUp would be important to a very small subset of users.  For my woodworking needs, I find SketchUp to do everything I need.  I am unaware of any restrictions Trimble has placed on the free version.  What are they?

A large benefit to me is that SketchUp is used by a very large number of fellow woodworkers, so I can get help when I need and, more importantly, we can share models.  

John
(11-27-2016, 01:52 PM)doobes Wrote: If you are learning from scratch, I would advise to use Fusion 360 instead.

It's free for "enthusiasts" and the free version is not encumbered with the restrictions on usage which the free version of SketchUp does.

Fusion 360 definitely looks powerful. What does the "cloud-based platform" imply?

Also, here's a link that lists differences between SketchUp Make and SketchUp Pro.

However, that's not a list of the differences between SketchUp (Make or Pro) and a true CAD program like Fusion 360.
>
Worse than ignorance is the illusion of knowledge.
>
The masses have never thirsted after truth. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim. - Gustave Le Bon

I've used SketchUp to design a number of projects. It is not a CAD program. But for designing a project that isn't going to be built using CNC machinery? SketchUp's fine.

I'm reminded of the old adage: If the only tool you have is a hammer, then all of your problems start to look like nails. Use the right tool for the job. If you need CAD, then use a CAD program.
"The art of leadership is to work with the natural grain of the particular wood of humanity which comes to hand."

John Adair

My woodworking blog: Tony's Woodshop
Used Sketchup five years ago for an entertainment center I built. Since then I've downloaded Sketchup 2017 to my Windows 10 system and need to relearn. Googled Sketchup for woodworker tutorials but haven't found anything for the current release. Has anyone found an updated woodworker tutorial?
As far as the tools for drawing and modifying the model, there've been no substantial changes through the versions. There are a few newer tools such as Rotated Rectangle, Arc, and Pie tools but the basics are still the same as always.

If you are installing SketchUp 2017 on Windows make sure you do it correctly. Also make sure your GPU supports at least OpenGL 3.0. If you need help with that stuff or anything specific, drop me a PM and I'll help you get set up.
And of course with Sketchup, there are thousands of pre-drawn resources you can leverage from the 3-D Warehouse. Of course, I just download Fusion 360 to check it out after reading this thread but Sketchup is so easy to use for project visualization and I've got years of working with it I doubt I would make the switch for everyday project designs.
"Well, my time of not taking you seriously is coming to a middle."