Gouges for Beginner
I bought a set of cylindrical gouges in 1/8, 3/32, 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2  for $25 when they were fairly new in the early 70s.  Use every one of them sometimes.  If it comes with, use it, don't let it cancel the whole buy.  The smaller are used mostly with ornaments, though the point-ground 1/4 is also used on larger diameters to produce small details.

[Image: 4-Roll-The-Round.jpg]

Learn the tools you have, and let their use determine those you will acquire.  Small ones leave more wood than they take away.  Sometimes it's what you want.

[Image: 7CoupleEdgeGrabs.jpg]
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Don't forget. Tools need to be sharpened. If you already have a grinder, get a book or dvd on how to take care of the tools. Most of us started with basic carbon steel tools, and they work fine(some say better) than the fancy steels they put in expensive tools. Unfortunately, the lathe is the Thin edge of the wedge. I applaud the gift however.
(11-27-2016, 06:47 PM)Mr Eddie Wrote: Thanks everyone for the replies.  Lots of good info.  Here's what I'm considering to start:

All from PSI

Carbide Chisel Set which includes:
3/8" Gouge
1/2" Skew
1/8" Parting

What do you think?  Am I leaving anything out?

Lonnie

I'd seriously consider something different than the "carbide" set.  The PSI set can't be sharpened and carbide DOES get dull.  They'll be good for about 10-20 projects, then they'll be paperweights.  Buy the equivalent tools in HSS.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill