Digital thickness readout for DeWalt DW735 planer
I've been wanting to add one of those iGaging Digital Thickness Readouts to my DeWalt DW735 planer for a while now, but I figured I'd ask here if that is the best option for these planers or is there a better readout. Also, is the 6" capacity enough? I think that is the capacity for the 735, IIRC...

Thanks in advance.
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
I put one on my drum sander really like the remote as it can be setup out of harm's way 

I am very impressed with it over the Wixey I have on my planer 

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

https://www.amazon.com/Wixey-WR510-Digit...735+planer
I have one on  my DeWalt 735. It works as advertised. I also have one on an older Powermatic. It, too, works beautifully.
I put the Wixey on my 735 and I have no complaints about it. I got it because I needed to plane down some stock exactly 7mm and the readout got me there. While I don't always need that kind of precision, I like being able to get there and an accurate readout (as opposed to the built in scale) is a big help. Just be sure to drill the mounting holes straight (I assume that makes installation a bit easier).
Jason

I had a Wixey 510 on my lunchbox.  I put a Iguaging on my 15" planer.  I thought calibrating the thickness was a pain compared to the Wixey.  I now have a 550 on my 15" planer and I am much happier.
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"
I put one on my original 19/38 sander, and it was ok. I still end up just running everything through at once, making it skinnier as I go, until I'm good. If you ever need to go back and do 1 part to an already established thickness I see it as a big help. If you work through everything like I do, ehhhh, maybe not so much. The motor on my 19/38 went kaput, just one of those things. I had to take all the extra goodies off when I sent it all back in. PM me if interested we could probably work out something on it if you wanted it. Being as it just sits there, not too much can go wrong with them, batteries would be about all I can think of.

For finish plane work I have a DW 735, and I am able to get close enough with it, so I don't see the need there. I am thinking about a 15" HH planer to swap my 15" 3 blade out, and if I go that route I will definitely put one on it. But that is down the road, kinda depends on Josh.........
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW

Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh I just looked, they sell for 50 bux, probably not good for 2nd time around market
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Thanks to you all. I have a few Wixey tools and love them, so I'll probably buy the Wixey version.

I do a lot of planning to specific thicknesses, and I think I'll use the capability quite a bit.
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
(11-28-2016, 02:54 PM)CARYinWA Wrote: I had a Wixey 510 on my lunchbox.  I put a Iguaging on my 15" planer.  I thought calibrating the thickness was a pain compared to the Wixey.  I now have a 550 on my 15" planer and I am much happier.

True, figuring out a way to calibrate the iGaging units can be a little tricky. I had an older Wixey that did the 0.2" jump and I never could get rid of it. Also the battery life wasn't good. My iGaging unit uses 2 2032 coin batteries and last about 2 years with occasional use.