What to do with non-turning tools?
I bought a 3520B almost two years ago (my third lathe) and have enough tools and skill that I'm really starting to enjoy turning - just ask my wallet.

My 2-1/2 car garage is my shop and after doing "flat" work for over 30 years using mostly rough sawn lumber I've run out of space to make either hobby easy to enjoy. For some reason my wife still demands that she can park her car in my shop. The big non-lathe space hogs are:

1950 Uni
17" BS
8" jointer
15" planer
60 gal. air compressor
Cyclone DC system
Stand-alone router table
12" SCMS on stand
Floor standing drill press

At times I'm thinking first get rid of the jointer then maybe the planer but I'm spoiled and even though I don't use them all the time I do enjoy milling my own lumber.

Any others that converted from flat to round have to downsize their shops?

Thanks,

Mike

I figure I want to at least keep my restored 1950 Uni but I
yes. I did that when we sold our house last year. It will be a long time, if ever, that I do flatwork again. I had 2 tablesaws, a jointer, planer and bandsaw that was left with me to use until the owner wanted it back. Original estimate was a year, I had it for 5.
Smile I got rid of the big tablesaw, the jointer and planer and the bandsaw went back to its owner. The only thing I will replace is the bandsaw. When I do, I will get rid of the 2nd tablesaw, since the bandsaw will do what little I need a TS for, plus I can round off bowl blanks, etc. I also have 2 drill presses, a table mounted and a 40s era floor mount that needs work. Once the floor mount is working I will get rid of the table mounted one. I kept my miter saw, since I use it for home improvement projects and the occasional pen blank.

For turning you rarely need to mill lumber since you are turning it round anyway. Segmenting needs milled lumber, but you could buy that, or mill up a bunch in various sizes and then sell off the tools.
Get rid of the car.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
I do both, keeping both sets - but upgraded flat work tools to a combination machine (for a nominal difference in cash once all was said and done.) I am still setting up the shop once more, so I can't share a pic yet - but once complete it'll have the following parked in 1 slightly over sized stall (using the wifes side when I need the space for projects):

ClearVue cyclone
50's Era 10" DeWalt RAS on cheap locking casters (with a 12" sliding RAS that sits on a shelf below)
PM 3520 (on Zambus casters)
Vintage Delta 12" disc/6" Belt combo
Table top DP (200 lbs though) on 4" HD casters
MM Combo machine (12" saw, 12" planer/jointer, 1.25" shaper, tenoner) - which claims mobility via the wheelie bar... but it's not pretty @ 1600 lbs
MM16 BS (on Zambus casters)

I also have a stout workbench on 6 Hvy Dty casters

As a one man shop which isn't doing production work, I find it quite workable and having the flexibility to make furniture to suit my house needs is nice.

Can't offer any guidance as to what you might get rid of, only support that it is possible to keep what you have - though it'll take some ingenuity to get it all to fit nicely
Smile

Michael
Every day find time to appreciate life. It is far too short and 'things' happen. RIP Willem
Mike

I use a the 15" carbide head planner, and jointer that the VA gave me a lot for turning and also the grizzly 690 and the grizzly 17" 5hp bandsaw to.  I would strongly suggest putting all of them on wheels and just take the one out that you need at the time.  I have a very small 14x16 garage and I have to do that so I can teach in and allow someone in a wheel chair in there at the same time and space is very tight.  If I could not roll everything around I just could not use it.

The vets have been wanting to start doing bandsaw boxes for a while and I feel the big bandsaw is just to dangerous for that and wanted to buy a small 12" cut bandsaw for that and plus the blades are way cheaper to.  Lucky for me and them I will be getting the one in the Christmas Auction which some very nice people are donating money for to help with shipping.

So like I said put wheels under everything and it is not hard to move around

Also I do not remember seeing any of your turnings yet.  hint hint 
Winkgrin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I have a similar problem.  A 3-car garage with a full suite of power tools plus my lathe and a sizeable workbench.  And one car stays in the garage.  So, all my tools are mounted on mobile bases.  When I'm working in the shop, the car comes out and everything gets rearranged to suit whatever I'm building.  It's a pain to keep moving stuff, but it's necessary.  I don't have the real estate for a dedicated shop.  Some day I'll get a dedicated shop.

If you really need the space, two things I'd keep are the bandsaw and the drill press.  You can get a lot accomplished on the BS that you used to be able to do on the TS.  I'd sell the jointer and planer and take the money from the sales of your other tools and put it toward a combination jointer/planer to save space.  You don't NEED a dust collector, but I'd keep it and run it when you're sanding on the lathe.  Or sell it and replace it with a Dust Deputy running with your shop vac.  You might also consider purchasing a small shed to store your lumber and maybe some of your less-used smaller power tools.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Do you have a friend locally who also does woodworking or wants to learn? Store your rarely used tools at his place and allow him to use them in exchange for the storage. That way, you can still use the when you need to. Worked for me for about a year.
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
I am currently in the process of solving that problem... First shop was a 20 by 20 garage. Every thing was on wheels, I had to open a door or window if I needed to pass gas, and this was before I got a lathe. A divorce and move later, I had a 24 by 36 shop. Things still on wheels. It is just the size I need if all I did was turning and instruction. Not enough for both flat work and round work. I will be moving in about a year, and will have about a 2000 foot shop. Then, I will be able to have the flat work tools in permanent stations, and uncovered. Just lucky.... Some community centers have wood shops that require instructor consent, which could be an option for you. Depending on weather, an outside lean to may work for the lathe, and possibly the dust collector. 

robo hippy
You could most easily get rid of the SCMS and use a sled in the Uni. The router table could be in the Uni wing or outfeed. I would do those before getting rid of anything else. If that wasn't enough I think you would be looking at the jointer/planer.