Router bits with Inserts
I have been getting ads from ToolsToday for router bits with inserts.  Has anyone used router bits with inserts?

Many other tools I use essentially have inserts.  For example, I use a molder head on the table saw.  My joiner blades are inserts.  However, both of these run slower than a router.

I can see two potential issues.  One is maintaining balance on the router bit, the other is the potential for a loose screw.  The loose screw is easy to prevent via a PM schedule.

Has anyone used router bits with inserts?  Are you aware of any issues?  Thanks.

Example bit.
[Image: 5714.jpg]
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
I've never used them, but they've been around for many years so there can't be much of a safety issue with them. 

John
I would think you would need a variable speed router based on the diameter of the cutting head, it would need to be run at a lower RPM then a fixed speed router. Since you did not post all the specs on it I am just a guessing!!!
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

Not for the OP 

it is amazing what you can find by doing a simple search 
Tool No.RC-2251

Specification(D) Diameter
2-1/2
(B) Cutting Height
15/32
(d) Shank
1/2
Overall Length (L)
2-1/2"
Max RPM
Type
Insert solid carbide

considering that knife is designed for a CNC setup you would not have to have a VS  

to the OP:

insert tooling is kinda cool but brazed carbide is more economical for small shops  especially for routers 

I have some insert shaper tooling but I wish I had spend the $$ on brazed tooling now 

Joe 
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Jgrout,
I am amazed at that cutter head diameter the max speed/rpms, but never used one, just comparing to my Freud carbide cabinet set bits about that same size by his pics. Thanks for the info.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

At 24,000 rpm and 2.5", that's about 180 miles per hr.  That little insert would do some damage.
Crazy
they do make the dust fly  that I can attest to
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Big advantage: Cutter life. A superior grade of carbide is used with insert tooling.
Does not have to stand the rigors of brazing etc.
Pat Warner
I use the 1.5" two insert version of this for our surfacing bit on our cnc machine. I run it at 16000 I think and use it for surfacing just pine so far. That is what our spoil board is made of. It last much longer than MDF between surfacings.
We also use the 45 degree V cutter that uses the same insert. 4 points on each insert for that tool. You do have to check the torque on the screws periodically on any insert tooling, especially if you get a lot of temperature changes, but if you use them alot, they are far more economical than standard tooling. They work really well. We use the V groove one in steel and aluminum. Light cuts only like engraving.

http://www.toolstoday.com/images/VARIANT...2248-e.jpg

http://www.toolstoday.com/images/VARIANT...5711_1.jpg
Lee
That cutter in the OP post is a spoilboard cutter and made for a CNC.  Whiteside has them too and just came out with a miniature one that I think is braised and could be used on a handheld router.

As for other types of bits, I think it's dependent on what you are doing and how you use them and how often. I looked up a double flute flush trim bit and the bit with inserts is $31.13 and $13.50 for the replacement inserts. A similar bit from Whiteside is $14.60 with the conventional braised carbide.