finish for a kitchen table
Hi, all

I picked up a 3x5 kitchen table at a flea market that has a butcher block type top. I don't know what type of wood it is (looks like it could be maple), but it had what looked like a worn down polyurethane finish that gave the table a yellowish look. I have sanded it down to the bare wood and would like to know the best way to finish the table without having it turn that yellow over time. I'm assuming that's what happened to the table originally.
This table will get a lot of dining use, if that is relevant to the type of finish.

Is there a poly finish that goes on and remains clear?

By the way, I'm one of those woodworkers who makes very nice things but then fears the outcome of the finish. So I need some help!

Thanks
Mikey
Mike, most all oil based finishes will give you a yellow hue, and they will yellow even further over time.  So, what you want is a waterborne finish because many of them are water clear and some of them will stay that way for a very long time.  And you definitely need a durable finish for a table.  So, of the products I've used, I think you'll find General Finishes Enduro Clear Poly to do a very good job.  It's dead clear and very durable against most chemicals.  However, it's a spray only finish.  If you can't spray, I would use GF's EnduroVar.  It is even more durable but has a slight amber hue to it, not much, but a little.  EnduroVar goes on great with a foam brush.  And if you can tolerate just a little more amber, GF's Arm-R-Seal is very, very durable and looks great.  Here are some curly maple hand rails finished with Arm-R-Seal.

[Image: 9QALv9Jkv3c8OUvaczLwqXE2pFdKTHb5HbXxVBDT...38-h628-no]

John
Thanks, John

Spraying is not an option for me, unless it's from a can, so I will look into the GF products you recommend.

Best
 Mike
Hi again, John

I was at Home Depot checking to see if they carried General Finish products. They don't but he suggested a Deft clear wood 
product that is a waterborne acrylic finish that won't turn yellow. Can you, or anyone else listening in, give me your thoughts on that product?

Thanks
Mikey
Hi Mike,

You can buy GF's products at Rockler and Woodcraft, or on the internet.  I know nothing about that Deft product, but I do know that most finishes sold at the big box stores are not very good.  If you plan to give that table hard use I would either buy one of the GF products I recommended or if you want to try the Deft product, try it on some scrap wood first, let it cure at least a week, and then test it with various household cleaners and foods to see how it performs.  Windex and other products with ammonia can do serious damage to lower quality products, as can hot dishes, while some foods will do damage or leave a stain.  If you don't plan to abuse the table, and just want it to look pretty, then the Deft product probably will be fine.  

John
Thanks, John

Woodcraft is 44 miles from my house, Rockler is 45 in the opposite direction. I'll flip the coin tomorrow and take a ride. I appreciate your help

Best
Mike
Hi John,

I have just finished the third coat of Eduroval on the trestle of the table. No problems of any consequence. But now I have to tackle the 15 square feet of table top, and I'm intimidated. What's the best way to apply the finish quickly enough using the foam brush to cover the whole table before the first end starts to dry and before I get to the other end. Or am I  worrying about nothing.

Thanks
Mikey
Good question Mike.  I've never brushed it on something that large; I would spray it.  But if I had to do it by hand I would look at using a foam roller.
You might be able to find them at a local store.  There also are the white ones that have no seams, and they might do a better job, just guessing.  Anyway, I would try that on a piece of scrap to see how it works and to verify it doesn't leave a lot of bubbles in the finish.  If it does, try adding about 5% water.  If that doesn't work, it was a bad idea. 

John
Thanks, John

I think I'm in for a little experimentation.
Many years ago I did two desk tops with waterbased poly and just used a wide foam brush. My experience with rollers was it introduced bubbles. The stuff I used was pretty self leveling and came out nice. I need to redo one of those tops as  my daughter ruined her desk top finish by doing her makeup on her desk and its covered with hair spray. Shes at college now so I can safely redo it.