Carbide Blades sharpening service?
(12-14-2016, 12:29 AM)Bit_Fiddler Wrote: Eide Saw & Tool Services in Minneapolis is outstanding - They are pretty close to Youngblood lumber if I recall correctly.  I believe they give a discount for ww guild members here in MN.    Rosemount Saw and Tool service does a good job sharpening, but I don't know if they replace teeth or not.  I believe Rosemount S&T does the sharpening for the local Rockler stores and are located on Hwy 3 in Rosemount, MN on the south side of the Cities..

Dave

Another vote for Eide Saw. They are literally right next to Youngblood Lumber. So if you need lumber you can kill 2 birds with one stone. Eide does it all and their biggest business is making sawblades. The MN Woodworking guild tours Eide every once in a while and it is a facinating tour.

Here is their web site:

http://www.eidesaw.com/
(12-14-2016, 09:04 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Sparky, if you watch the video of the Vollmer machine at Dynamic Saw you will see that it sharpens every face of every tooth.  On a simple blade, that's four faces.  For a blade with 60 teeth, that's 240 separate grinds the machine makes.  That seems like a bargain to me for less than $15.   If you look at their prices you'll see they are based on the number of teeth on the blade, not how many faces need to be ground.  

John

(12-14-2016, 10:51 PM)daddo Wrote:   I've seen the video before, and if they do grind all sides for that price I guess it is more than worth it.

Except the Premier Fusion blades don't have 4 faces - they have 6 or 7 facets. Most grinders won't (or can't) do all of them. It's s great blade, just tough to get resharpened properly.
Jason

(12-15-2016, 09:14 AM)Jason28 Wrote: Except the Premier Fusion blades don't have 4 faces - they have 6 or 7 facets. Most grinders won't (or can't) do all of them. It's s great blade, just tough to get resharpened properly.

You should give Dynamic Saw a call if you have a Fusion blade, or another with more than 4 faces.  That Vollmer machine can sharpen any blade made.  The owner of DS developed many of the tooth profiles used by some well known blade makers.  This is not your average father and son operation using an old Foley Belsaw grinder. 

And if you ever need a special router or CNC bit made, they have a 5 axis machine that is the only one in the world that can do what it does.  

John
I seriously doubt they would grind the sides.
That would generally only be done if new teeth were added.
Many blades benefit greatly just with a face grind.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJc-J-Jhg1g&t=22s
(12-15-2016, 04:58 PM)JerGar Wrote: I seriously doubt they would grind the sides.
That would generally only be done if new teeth were added.
Many blades benefit greatly just with a face grind.

I've watched the machine run, but you can see it if you watch the video. 

John
I can't watch the video but of course the machine can do it.
Doesn't mean they do it for every sharpening.
After bumping heads with you when I previously said I sharpen my own stuff with great results I knew you wouldn't believe me so I E-Mailed them.
Don't believe me E-Mail them yourself.

From dan@dynamic-saw-blade-sharpening.com

"Side grinding only occurs on new blades or repairs"

P.S.
When I bought my grinder as part of the deal I traveled 1.000 miles to the sharpening shop I purchased it from and spent 3 days there as a learning experience.
I bought the saw blade sharpener from harbor freight and I am going to try it on some older blades when it gets here.  I also found out I can bring my blades to a local wood shop and they have someone that picks their stuff up every tuesday so I also have that availible for the really good blades
Keep your mouth shut and nobody will know how stupid you are........I should have listened!
(12-16-2016, 11:19 AM)JerGar Wrote: I can't watch the video but of course the machine can do it.
Doesn't mean they do it for every sharpening.
After bumping heads with you when I previously said I sharpen my own stuff with great results I knew you wouldn't believe me so I E-Mailed them.
Don't believe me E-Mail them yourself.

From dan@dynamic-saw-blade-sharpening.com

"Side grinding only occurs on new blades or repairs"

P.S.
When I bought my grinder as part of the deal I traveled 1.000 miles to the sharpening shop I purchased it from and spent 3 days there as a learning experience.

I wasn't clear so I see how you interpreted what I said differently from what I intended.  I didn't mean to imply they sharpen every face, every time.  What I tried to say is the machine CAN sharpen every face.  As I said, I've watched the machine do it, and Dan's response to you confirms that. 

Sorry for the confusion. 

If you are happy with what a $50 machine can do for you, great.   I'm happy taking mine to the guys with the $500K machine.    

John
(12-16-2016, 03:19 PM)jteneyck Wrote: I wasn't clear so I see how you interpreted what I said differently from what I intended.  I didn't mean to imply they sharpen every face, every time.  What I tried to say is the machine CAN sharpen every face.  As I said, I've watched the machine do it, and Dan's response to you confirms that. 

Sorry for the confusion. 

If you are happy with what a $50 machine can do for you, great.   I'm happy taking mine to the guys with the $500K machine.    

John

jteneyck- quote;  "Sparky, if you watch the video of the Vollmer machine at Dynamic Saw you will see that it sharpens every face of every tooth.  On a simple blade, that's four faces.  For a blade with 60 teeth, that's 240 separate grinds the machine makes.  That seems like a bargain to me for less than $15.   If you look at their prices you'll see they are based on the number of teeth on the blade, not how many faces need to be ground.  

John "

I also got the impression you were saying for 12-15 bucks they were dancing around the tooth with the machine.

It's no big deal, it's just like my wife giving subtle hints instead of coming right out and telling me what she wants, then gets mad because I'm not psychic.   But then maybe I should actually listen once in a while.
Laugh