cobalt or carbide brad point bits
Lee Valley bits are good, I also have a set of Forest City brad points that are good.  The only time cheap bits are worth it is when you know you're going to abuse them and you can get them cheap enough to toss...I have a couple sets of cheap bits I use around the property when I have to work on crappy things.  Use, abuse and toss them.

Looks like Holbren is going to carry Norseman bits at some point (maybe they already do and the website hasn't been updated).  Holbren usually has good prices and a woodnet discount.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

Thanks Mark, didn't order them for stock yet.

A 10 piece brad point set would be about $35 from Norseman
HSS is fine for me.
In either carbide tipped or HSS, the shanks are not very hard and subject to deforming.
HSS is cheaper and I replace them with sharp new ones as needed.

Check them for true before buying- even more costly ones may be bent or deformed.
(12-01-2016, 12:29 PM)meackerman Wrote:  I also have a set of Forest City brad points that are good.  

I always liked Forest City bits even more than Fuller but Whiteside shut them down about a year ago.  As an aside Whiteside is releasing 3 wing carbide "forstners" which may move them to the top of the heap but the price will most certainly match.
didn't realize Forest City was gone.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

I have the new product packet in front of me.  The Whiteside 3 wing forester could be a carry over from Forest City, they still make a handful of those items.  Those forester bits are carbide tipped and the list price on the 1" is $92.00.  The dealer discount is not as much as router bits so that will probably be the street price, or close to it.