cobalt or carbide brad point bits
I'm looking to buy a good set of brad-point bits.  I know that cobalt and carbide are costly; and I'm uncertain whether bits made of these materials are readily available.   But if you happen to know of  a good source, I'd appreciate the help.  If they are not generally available, I'd be grateful for other, realistic options.  Thanks!
7 pc set

13 pc set

individual HSS bits

IMO HSS is a better choice for day to day mainly because they can be sharpened in the shop on the fly
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

(11-30-2016, 09:02 PM)jihhwood Wrote: I'm looking to buy a good set of brad-point bits.  I know that cobalt and carbide are costly; and I'm uncertain whether bits made of these materials are readily available.   But if you happen to know of  a good source, I'd appreciate the help.  If they are not generally available, I'd be grateful for other, realistic options.  Thanks!

I had used many through the years, and have found that for lower priced bits that the "Colt" line of bits was a good value, but if you just want to go for the best bit, buy it once thing. Then look at Famag brand bits they have brad point, and Forstner, and they are worth the money if you have been frustrated by junk bits in the past.

Sorry about the link, you will need to put FAMAG in the search bar, that site doesn't have dynamic pages.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I've been pleased with my HSS set from Lee Valley.  Lots of use and still going strong.
(12-01-2016, 02:47 AM)Steve N Wrote: I had used many through the years, and have found that for lower priced bits that the "Colt" line of bits was a good value, but if you just want to go for the best bit, buy it once thing. Then look at Famag brand bits they have brad point, and Forstner, and they are worth the money if you have been frustrated by junk bits in the past.

Sorry about the link, you will need to put FAMAG in the search bar, that site doesn't have dynamic pages.

I think you may be mixing up Colt being a line vs Colt being a company.  Colt makes multiple lines of forstner and brad point bits.  The Twinland brad points are the economy bits and quite good for the price but nothing like their 5 star brad points (also called FCE) which are as good as the best Famag and I think better.  The same is true with forstner bits and I have full sets (by that I mean every size they make) of both Colt Maxi cut and Famag Bormax and prefer the Maxi Cut by a good margin, Famag has introduced the Bormax 3 which is carbide and I have one on the way to try out, they recommend VERY high speeds for them so they may be the first forstner to beat speed of the Maxi Cut bits but at another level of price premium.  I seriously doubt I will be buying a full set of the Bormax 3 ($1500 in forstners is quite enough) but if they cut as cleanly as the best HSS ones I will probably have 3-4 in the sizes I most use.
Agreed Huxley, the flagship Colt bits are best in class (and PRICED accordingly I might add) but cut the most accurate, perfect holes I've witnessed. (I use them exclusively for pen blanks due to the depth of cut and need for a perfect sleeve fit - but I buy them individually as the price for a full set of 6" bits is freaking scary!)

The Lee Valley set is probably my top pick for value to quality - fantastic performance, predictable, and a great price. I have it as well as their countersink set and can count on them every time to do the job.

I purchased and threw out HF sets as well as some craftsman ages ago due to frustration. Realized that going cheap on the part that cuts the wood was a fools economy (sand paper and saw blades fall into this category also) and buying quality will always pay dividends.

Cry once, buy once.

Michael
Every day find time to appreciate life. It is far too short and 'things' happen. RIP Willem
Thanks very much.  I'll choose from among the recommended options.
Norseman bits are nothing to sneeze at either.
Leaning toward the Lee Valley 7-piece set.  And -- yes -- buying quality is never a mistake!
(12-01-2016, 10:05 AM)jihhwood Wrote: Leaning toward the Lee Valley 7-piece set.  And -- yes -- buying quality is never a mistake!

+1 on the Lee Valley HSS set.  They are very good bits.  Several years ago, they were one of the Editor's Choice sets in one WW mag test.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill