Shipping a Table Saw?
Hope this is the right place to post this.  Need some advice.  I am in the process of disposing of my 90 year old fathers shop tools as he can no longer get out there and enjoy them.  One item is a older Craftsman "zip code" type contractors table saw.  Cast iron top with steel extension wings.  My nephew is a few states away and has purchased a new home and is interested in getting his Pop Pop's saw to start his wood shop.  No way I can drive it out or he can come pick it up.. so I am interested in ideas on the best way to ship it to him and what the possible cost would be.  I was thinking I could remove the motor and extension wings.  Turn the saw Up Side Down and secure it to a sturdy pallet with cargo straps and/or brackets screwed to the pallet.  Similarly secure the motor and extension wings. Then build a "box" around it with 2x material and some 1/2 inch ply so it would be "crated" up for shipping.

Is that a good way to "package it" up?  What is the best way to ship it?  Drop ship by taking to a trucking company direct and he goes and gets it from a terminal near him?  (I figure UPS or whatever cant handle that weight for pick up / delivery .. and would cost a ton ... for door to door... right ??) 

Never shipped anything like this before so any and all advice is appreciated !
I've heard tell that Greyhound Bus will ship packages.
You might call them & ask.
Fastenal also offers a shipping service as well. There's one in even the smallest towns around here maybe that will work?
-Marc

Check local craigslist for wooden crates, have patience ad you will find one pretty cheep.
Or check with local glass supplier and they can provide one, usually glass is shipped in the crates.

Then take the saw apart much as possible , secure in crate.

Then you will be able to ship LTL ( less than truckload) by local LTL providers
such as Freight quotes,  or
FedEx Freight, UPS Freight, Estes, Old Dominion etc
If you take it to their terminal it will save you some money. Same on the receiving end

If this need to be picked up at your residence or deliver at residence using lift gate , it usually cost $ 75 per incident.

This will be secured and low cost shipment.

Also check local freight brokers , if they can locate a Hot Shot carriers, which are basically a low level trailer pulled by a pick up truck , these carriers are exempt by
lot of regulation , they can pick up from your residence and deliver to residence , cheep.
The crate sounds more than adequate to protect the saw.  Fastenal is a good option for shipping something like this.  With any luck the crate can be re-purposed into a kids play house!
Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...
Probably not what you wanted to hear, but unless it has a ton of sentimental value, it is usually cheaper to sell it at your location and buy one off craiglist at his location.
SRV52761: that was my first thought. The saw may not be worth the shipping/crating costs.
I was going to say, there is a place around here that will come and package and ship, but it's going to cost more than that saw is worth. I use them occasionally, but only for high dollar items
Where are you located? Where is your nephew ? I know the folks around here have done some piggy back deliveries before and witht he holidays coming, could be worth a shot.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
(12-01-2016, 07:36 PM)museumguy Wrote: Where are you located? Where is your nephew ? I know the folks around here have done some piggy back deliveries before and witht he holidays coming, could be worth a shot.

My thought exactly.
Cool
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)