Dado with dowel reinforcement -- additional reinforcement needed?
(12-01-2016, 10:58 AM)JGrout Wrote: As long as the joinery is accurate and  glue is applied to the dadoes as well as the back is secured with pins in a rabbet you are building the same thing I have for yrs

It will not fail.

Joe

It will work, only thing that could be issue is width, and using the sagulator you can figure pretty close to see if your edge banding needs to be beefier, or your width narrower.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I agree that the shelves may bow under weight at that span. 

It may prove to be wise to beef the shelves up with cleats 

My comments went to the ability to construct such a unit 

Loading could be anything from books to nick knacks so considering it was not specified
Wink
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

(12-01-2016, 07:30 PM)Steve N Wrote: It will work, only thing that could be issue is width, and using the sagulator you can figure pretty close to see if your edge banding needs to be beefier, or your width narrower.

Thanks for the reference to the sagulator, Steve.  Looks  very useful!
You can do math to get there too, but that thing is so simple stupid, it's just a winner, plus it might remind you of part of the equation you could miss otherwise, simple stupid. I like simple stupid stuff when I am trying to enjoy myself.
Big Grin
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I've built a ton of cabs like this.

No, the unit will not fail don't give it another thought unless your putting transmissions on the shelves ;-)

36" is the upper limit for 3/4 ply shelves but you will be OK if you apply a hardwood edge strip to the shelves .  This will eliminate sagging for all but extremely heavy loads.

Use 1 1/4"  X 1 1/4" oak with a 3/4 dado to accept the shelf.  Just glue and clamp no screws or dowels necessary.
He could also add a vertical strip in the back and notch the shelves to accommodate it.  And drill shelf pins for center support.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(12-03-2016, 08:09 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: Use 1 1/4"  X 1 1/4" oak with a 3/4 dado to accept the shelf.  Just glue and clamp no screws or dowels necessary.

^^^^This.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis