Walnut Sapwood Advice Needed
Get some trans tint dye, mix in Alcohol wipe on the sap wood and blend into the Walnut, to dark for the match wipe some off with a rag in Alcohol, to light add a bit more dye, it is that easy!!! Trust yourself, and grow!!!
http://homesteadfinishingproducts.com/tr...quid-dyes/
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

(12-06-2016, 01:15 AM)MikeBob Wrote: Get some trans tint dye, mix in Alcohol wipe on the sap wood and blend into the Walnut, to dark for the match wipe some off with a rag in Alcohol, to light add a bit more dye, it is that easy!!! Trust yourself, and grow!!!
http://homesteadfinishingproducts.com/tr...quid-dyes/

Thanks!  Forgot that I had some of them. Just went down to the basement.  Don't have their walnut brown, but I do have 5 other shades of brown and a bottle of black. If they work, it saves me having to buy the dye part.

I do have a little bit of scrap with sapwood that will be my test piece.

Steve
I am having the same problem as Steve. I am building a side table out of walnut and I have several areas that are sapwood that I need to blend in to the heartwood. I found an article in Fine Woodworking that says that you should use dye on the sapwood just like some of you have mentioned in this post. I have tried dye but I always get myself into a mess. Could someone tell me what color dye and the dilution to use in order to blend the sapwood? Thanks.
Artb
(09-12-2019, 09:24 PM)artj Wrote: I am having the same problem as Steve.  I am building a side table out of walnut and I have several areas that are sapwood that I need to blend in to the heartwood.  I found an article in Fine Woodworking that says that you should use dye on the sapwood just like some of you have mentioned in this post.  I have tried dye but I always get myself into a mess.  Could someone tell me what color dye and the dilution to use in order to blend the sapwood?  Thanks.  
Artb

Your questions can't really be answered other than by trial and error on scrap.  I would start with Transtint Dark Walnut dye at maybe 10 drops in 30 ml water.  Use a small artist's brush to apply some to the sapwood.  While it's wet it will look similar to how it will when you apply a clear finish later.  Adjust the concentration up/down to get close.  Then make a little larger specimen the same way, left it dry, and then apply your finish coats.  Repeat until you are happy.  If the color is off you will have use a different dye or more likely mix more than one dye together.  Add red to make it redder, add green if it's too red and you want to make it browner.

There are no easy ways of going about this.  

John
I have made and finished two walnut side tables.  On the first one I used wood that contained sapwood and it was a real pain to get it to match the heartwood. I finally used a gel stain and mixed in a little dye.  It took several coats to get a match.  Be sure and use sample pieces.
On the second table I cut out all of the sapwood and finishing it was much much easier.  So, it appears at your stage you will have to match the sapwood but in the future you might consider cutting it out.