Sharpening Hollowing Tools
I was given 2 mini-hollowers, one is a Sorby with a removable (non-carbide) cutter, the other just has the bevel ground into the edge of the tool. The top of the tool has been ground flat over the last 1" or so. Is sharpening them just flatten the flat side of the cutting tip? I shouldn't need to touch the bevel?
I'd ask the person who gave them to you about that.
I do not know why but a lot of people change the bevel to what is best for them and sometimes it does not work.  My suggestion is find out who sells the items and see how they do it or even email  Sorby and they will contact you back.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(12-01-2016, 04:28 PM)crokett™ Wrote: I was given 2 mini-hollowers, one is a Sorby with a removable (non-carbide) cutter, the other just has the bevel ground into the edge of the tool.  The top of the tool has been ground flat over the last 1" or so.   Is sharpening them just flatten the flat side of the cutting tip?   I shouldn't need to touch the bevel?

Truth, pretty much.  Bevel provides a huge clearance angle when scraping, so its length is unimportant.  Peeling, too short a bevel may result in a pitch angle that scrapes more than slices, which is why, aside from convenience, we remove steel from the bevel.

Diamond paddles are what I used to sharpen when I was playing potter.

Edge versus wood standard terminology http://homepages.sover.net/~nichael/nlc-.../caop.html
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Thanks Michael. I got these from a non-turner who found them at an estate sale or somesuch. I also got a set of Versa chisels this summer for my birthday. I haven't used them yet but the sharpening instructions for them is a couple strokes on the flat side with a hone and leave the bevel alone. I wondered if the hollowers could be sharpened the same way.
For my Sorby removable tips I remove the tip and hone just the flat (top).  Their instruction show using a little diamond paddle while mounted on the tool but I am sure I would round the edge over.

Could the other be a Skewchigouge?  I have one and it cuts like butter going from the center out while hollowing.  Problem is I have no idea how to sharpen it and can not seem to get it right.   At least I won it so no $$$ invested.
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/140474/...gouge.aspx

Edit: I used the latter with boxes (spindle orientation) so the cut was into sidegrain. Don't know how well it would work in bowl orientation.
Could the second tool be a Kelton? Like here:

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.as...49232&ap=1

If so, you don't ever want to sharpen it on top. Just touch up the bevel with a diamond hone or a stone.
I'll try to get a pic of the second smaller one.  It's not a Skewchi or Kelton.
So I was mistaken.  The Sorby is the one with the non-removable tip and looks a lot like the middle one in this pic. The one with the removable tip is the one with no name on it.

[Image: 0b512390-177b-44da-86b1-872f19d54be0_1.1...517f3.jpeg]