T8 Fluorescent fixtures have personality!!
Single pole switch controlling two T8 fixturers that were installed 5 years ago and working fine. Over the past two weeks, Sometime when you turn the switch "on" no lights come on. turn the switch off/on and one light comes on, turn the switch off/on, and the other light comes on, turn the switch off/on and both lights come on. No rhyme or reason to the pattern. From what I have always thought of Electronic ballasts, either work or they don't so I somewhat rule that out.  Possibly the bulbs are old and cannot energize....Can any one shed any thoughts on this "riddle"..
How cold is it in the area?

If not cold I am leaning to the  switch and or the feed
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Not cold at all as it is actually an office environment.
then a loose wire in the feed would be next is there a gang box feed to both lights? or maybe one to the other I expect that where multiple wires are under one wire nut you would find the issue
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

and there is a gang box that I can eventually get into.

Do you think my bulb explanation is worth even trying?? It was a stretch. My understanding is that the ballast provides an initial 'high voltage charge" to energize the inert gas inside the bulb and given the approx. 5 year/40 hours a week usage pattern, I thought possibly the bulbs were "tired"!!
Time for new bulbs anyhow.  I have heard that fluorescent tubes lose 60% of their light output during their lifetime.  Easy access and a good starting point.

Good luck  
Big Grin
It's either a loose wire, or the tubes have somehow twisted in the tombstones that hold them in the fixture.
It happens. Usually from expansion & contraction when the tubes heat up & cool off.
as.....this is a low priority fix but I will get to it and report back.
Heres my $.02:

1 % chance of loose wire
20% chance bad ballast
80% chance bad bulbs

Simple solution: Change bulbs if that doesn't help, put in a new ballast.

Yes, when a ballast is going bad they can act that way.
(12-05-2016, 12:12 PM)rwe2156 Wrote: Heres my $.02:

1 % chance of loose wire
20% chance bad ballast
80% chance bad bulbs

Simple solution: Change bulbs if that doesn't help, put in a new ballast.  

Yes, when a ballast is going bad they can act that way.

Ditto. When they start to age sometimes it takes a few power cycles to get everything to light up. 

Imo time to go with led bulbs.