Spirit of the Wood
(12-02-2016, 10:10 AM)Timberwolf Wrote: [Image: P1030104.jpg]

[Image: P1030105_1.jpg]

Hello Jack,

the detailed carving on such a small tool handle is really impressing! Magnificent! You seem to have a very sharp eye - and sharp tools as well
Big Grin

Klaus
What's about to carve a panther head on a handsaw handle? Must be a piece of cake for you!

Klaus
(12-03-2016, 06:04 PM)KlausK. Wrote: What's about to carve a panther head on a handsaw handle? Must be a piece of cake for you!

Klaus
Klaus, coming from an artist as you are, those words mean a lot to me and I thank you...but my work is crude compared to your talent and the talent I have seen online...I do have sharp tools, but alot of the sharp lines you see are made with a pyrography pen...I didn't make the pens, but I did make the very fine Nichrome wire points that I used. And I made the heating unit itself many years ago, using a surplus 12v transformer and a small auto-transformer called a Variac. I can adjust the voltage { heat } from stone cold to bright red hot in a second or two....I have an idea of making another heating unit by "re-cycling" a battery charger from a lap-top computer and a light dimmer switch, and I have picked up two for experimentation from a thrift shop...If it works out as I hope, I will post the method here that I used to construct it, so other woodnetters can make their own....These pyrography pens have a great many uses..even to the point of burning your signature into saw handles to "personalize" them..
Big Grin
      I am just getting started with handles that represent animal or bird carving..It occurred to me that  all handles do not need to "look alike" and carving an eagle head on one end is a pretty radical departure from the norm...I have done a couple of those, and I have one handle carved out of cottonwood bark with two monkey heads.....A panther head knife is "in the works" as we say... Then there are Santa heads, duck heads, clown  heads, gnome heads, monks heads {like Father Pete}
Big Grin , dog or wolf heads and many other possibilities...
Thanks again...Best regards...Jack

Here's a shot of my woodburner and pen

[Image: P1020905.jpg]
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Jack, that's at least as impressive as an excellent carving job. And way more ingenious 
Cool The result counts. With your pimped pyrography pens you are getting excellent results, that's for sure. Well worth to spend some thoughts on and to do some attempts as well. Thank you very much for sharing this!

Klaus