Water based pain accent on oil based stain
I am building a plaque for a friend. I'll putting grooves in the face of the plaque and staining the entire plaque with an oil based stain. I'm then applying orange paint to the grooves as an accent. The problem is that the pain is water based. What is the best way to do this? Should I finish the entire plaque with the stain and put a water based acrylic on top and then do the paint and clearcoat again? Or is there another way?

Thanks,
Silver
~Brad

The voices on woodnet told me to build it that way.
possible solution(s):
Mask edges with painters tape, and paint grooves first, then fill with beeswax (after cured). Stain/seal the balance then gently remove wax. You could also try placing masking tape ( the tape used for delicate surfaces) over the painted area and carefully trimming at the break point between paint and unpainted surfaces. Then proceed as above...Be careful with painters tape, as it is not as foolproof as one might assume (DAMHIK)
I have not tried this per se, but have tried with limited success on a similar endeavor...
What about paint then sand the surface to remove any paint outside the groove. Then stain. Not sure if the stain over the paint will give you the accent you are looking for. You may be able to wipe all or most of the stain off the cured paint. I have never tired this just a thought. Please try on scrap.
I don't see a problem.  If your OB stain has dried for at least 3 days, the WB paint should stick to it with no problem.  I think your plan to seal the stain first is a good one because then you will be able to wipe off any paint outside your grooves.  But I would spray a coat or two of dewaxed shellac instead of WB acrylic, although that product should work.  My reason for using shellac is it's guaranteed to stick to the stain and the paint will stick to it.  

John