Bench Jointer Question
I am looking at a Sears Craftsman used bench jointer (about 20 years old). The current owner tells me that the jointer doesn't quite edge true 90 degrees. Any ideas on whether this is fixable or something on which to pass?
I would just pass.
Fill your heart with compassion, seek the jewel in every soul, share a word of kindness, and remember; the people's what it's about.
Capt. Tony Tarracino

Stove,  I would pass.  Even if you could the 90 degree adjusted, which is quite possible,  my guess is the jointer is one with a fixed outfeed table.  If so, it is very difficult to set the knives, and as soon as they wear a tiny bit, the pieces will no longer be jointed flat.  If you search here on setting the outfeed table, you will see tons of posts on how they need to be set a certain height, and if they are too high or too low, then the boards won't be straight.  If it is the benchtop one I am thinking of, you will have to reset the knives since the outfeed table can't be adjusted.
(12-02-2016, 06:04 PM)barryvabeach Wrote: Stove,  I would pass.  Even if you could the 90 degree adjusted, which is quite possible,  my guess is the jointer is one with a fixed outfeed table.  If so, it is very difficult to set the knives, and as soon as they wear a tiny bit, the pieces will no longer be jointed flat.  If you search here on setting the outfeed table, you will see tons of posts on how they need to be set a certain height, and if they are too high or too low, then the boards won't be straight.  If it is the benchtop one I am thinking of, you will have to reset the knives since the outfeed table can't be adjusted.

everything said above is true. 

as an aside I used to set the knives .005 high on fixed table jointers and ran roughing cuts for the first 20 minutes or so to wear them down a bit. 

It worked but what a huge PIA to deal with. besides the gibs on this class jointer are not exactly the safest if you mess up you will at least shift a knife or all three or at worst try to throw one.

I too would pass
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

I have no knowledge about that machine, but a fixed outfeed table wouldn't scare me off.  My Inca J/P had a fixed outfeed table and I changed the knives a couple of times a year w/o problems.  I was so ignorant when I bought it that I didn't know most jointers have adjustable outfeed tables.  My new J/P has an adjustable outfeed table.  I've changed the blades 3 times in the past year, and have never adjusted the outfeed table.   It just isn't a problem.  

John
John the locking screws for that unit are wedged from the top not the side 

It was a less than stellar attempt ( I think) to skirt a patent issue 

as I stated in a different thread knives had a tendency at least once to migrate out of the head 

you learn fast DAMHIKT

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

I was unaware of that, Joe.  That seems like a really bad idea.  The fixed outfeed table wouldn't bother me, but that configuration would be a deal breaker.  

John