Interior Divided Light Doors Build Along - Part 9
Here's a link to Part 8.  

Short entry today.  After the mortises were cut I drilled all of the 1/2" holes for the lite grids and used a 1/2" hollow chisel mortising chisel to square them, as I showed in a prior part.  But to do that with the arched rails I first glued the wedges back on that I had cut off earlier. 

[Image: B_lM1ONWyur9b59SwdglcjVRNZMOVdVoNzyIkVFB...38-h628-no]

That gave me the support needed to cut the holes at the correct angle on the drill press.

[Image: gl6EUdy9U6AORBYDT6BFd8Eiqq5C6O9XIZpr-KET...38-h628-no]

It also will allow the arched rail to clamp up w/o wanting to rack. 

With all the holes drilled and squared, at the correct spacing this time around, I made the 1/2" wide grid for the divided lights.  I cut all the rabbets and half laps with the dado blade.    Here is one door with the grid fit in place.  There was a little careful paring required to get the two verticals cut properly so that they fit well to the arched rail.  It didn't help that I set one of them aside, only to think it was a piece of scrap and use it for something else 20 minutes later.  Thankfully, I had an extra piece of stock so I could make another with only a mild rebuke to myself, something like "You person, what were you thinking?".   So here is the grid test fit into one of the doors.

[Image: 5MUY4rNWiGqU-MII1qk6_sIenBi-EHh9v3mXpIeI...38-h628-no]

I did the same with the other door, and then glued it up.

[Image: wEMl8LXBbDTrj-t6PLF9VsTESJi15g_528DnLMDE...38-h628-no]

It's a little hard to see, but adding that wedge to the arched rail prevents it from wanting to rack when the clamp is pulled tight.  The wedge of paper you see between the wedge and stile was to make up for a slight over cut when I cut off the wedge.  It actually made a difference in how tight the toe of the arch fit to the stile. 

There will be a lull in progress for awhile.  Time to go skiing. 

Thanks for following along.  

John
you got ahead of me
Big eek I meant to warn you not to cut the top arch until you were ready to fit the head to the doors 

My bad 

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Not to worry Joe.  I haven't cut the top of the arch yet; I remember your advise not to do it until later.  The picture probably fooled you because the veneer doesn't cover the wedge completely, but there's plenty enough for the arch. 

John
That is a beautiful door! I cant wait to see it finished.
I am quickly realizing that I have NO natural talent... But I am trying to fake it.